Only You (Yazoo song)
|Single by Yazoo|
|from the album Upstairs at Eric's|
|Released||15 March 1982
7 October 1996 (CD reissue)
23 August 1999 (remix)
|Format||7", 12" (1982)
12", CD (1999)
|Genre||Synthpop, new wave|
|Label||Mute – MUTE 20|
|Producer(s)||Eric Radcliffe, Daniel Miller and Yazoo (1982)
Eric Radcliffe and Yazoo (1999)
|Yazoo singles chronology|
"Only You" is a ballad written by musician Vince Clarke. He wrote it while with Depeche Mode, but recorded it in 1982 after forming the duo Yazoo with Alison Moyet. It was an instant success, hitting number two in the UK and charting in the US (number sixty-seven, Billboard Hot 100), a feat only attained by one other Yazoo single (coincidentally, that single was "Situation," the original UK B-side of "Only You"). "Only You" also made the US Adult Contemporary chart at number thirty-eight.
A remix of "Only You" made the UK Top 40 again in 1999, while reaching number sixteen on the US Billboard Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart. The music video for the new version was created using the Houdini 3D animation software package.
An 18-second sample of "Only You" demonstrating the synth layering of the music and soulful style of Alison Moyet's singing.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Clarke's melody in the song "has a sweetly yearning quality, elegantly arranged by Clarke and producer E.C. Radcliffe in a fashion that links several different monophonic synths together to give the tune more depth and melodic substance" according to Allmusic . Moyet's vocals, they say, is a "perfectly understated vocal performance, soulful yet dignified in the manner of '70s soul star Ann Peebles, of Clarke's gentle and romantic lyrics."
(*) CD released on 30 September 1996
The Flying Pickets version
|Single by The Flying Pickets|
|from the album Lost Boys|
|Producer(s)||The Flying Pickets, John Sherry Sonet|
|The Flying Pickets singles chronology|
An a cappella version by The Flying Pickets was even more successful than the 1982 original on the UK Singles Chart, being released towards the end of the following year and becoming the Christmas number one in 1983. It spent five weeks at the top. This made "Only You" the first a cappella chart-topper in the UK, and was released on overseas markets the following year. The description of "a cappella" is misleading however, as synthesizers feature throughout the recording.
The Flying Pickets version went on to become a number one hit on the German Singles Chart in 1984 and charted in Canada as well, though it saw no chart action in the United States.
- Track listing
- 7" Single 10,106,103 1983
- 7" Single 10 TEN 14 1983
- "Only You" : 3:20
- "Disco Down" : 3:27
"Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel
|UK number-one single
10 December 1983
(for five weeks)
"Pipes of Peace" by Paul McCartney
Enrique Iglesias version
|"Sólo En Ti"|
|Single by Enrique Iglesias|
|from the album Vivir|
|Released||31 March 1997|
|Format||CD promo single|
(New York City),
|Writer(s)||Vince Clarke, Enrique Iglesias|
|Producer(s)||Rafael Pérez Botija|
|Enrique Iglesias singles chronology|
Spanish singer Enrique Iglesias recorded a Spanish version of the song, which was featured on his second studio album Vivir. The track was released as the second single from that album and became very successful, debuting at number 1 in the United States Billboard Hot Latin Tracks chart (his second in a row, and the first artist to do so) on 3 May 1997, and spent ten non-consecutive weeks at the top. Iglesias also recorded the song in English, which is included in the album Bailamos Greatest Hits.
|US Billboard Hot Latin Tracks||1|
|US Billboard Latin Pop Airplay||1|
|US Billboard Latin Regional Mexican Airplay||4|
|US Billboard Latin Tropical/Salsa Airplay||6|
Use in television adverts
The song was used by McVitie's biscuits in the United Kingdom for their Christmas 2014 "Victoria" biscuit selection advert. The advert featured a family in their living room joined by an array of baby animals (including a pug, kitten and narwhal) "singing" along to an instrumental version of the song.
- List of number-one singles (UK)
- List of number-one Billboard Hot Latin Tracks of 1997
- List of Christmas number one singles (UK)
- Moltenbrey, Karen (April 2002). Broadcast Retrospective 25th Anniversary: Part 4. Computer Graphics World. Accessed 26 February 2006.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. pp. 430–1. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- ""Hot Latin Tracks" on Billboard.com". Retrieved 1997-05-03. Check date values in:
- ""Hot Latin Tracks" on Billboard.com". Retrieved 1997-07-05. Check date values in:
- ""Latin Pop Airplay" on Billboard.com". Retrieved 1997-07-12. Check date values in:
- ""Latin Regional Mexican Airplay" on Billboard.com". Retrieved 1997-05-03. Check date values in:
- ""Latin Tropical/Salsa Airplay" on Billboard.com". Retrieved 1997-05-03. Check date values in:
- Billboard magazine. "Artist Chart History – Yaz". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2006-02-26.
- Mute Records. "Yazoo – Only You". Mute Records UK official website. Retrieved 2006-02-26.
- Mute Records. "Yazoo – Only You (1999 Mix)". Mute Records UK official website. Retrieved 2006-02-26.
- Zywietz, Tobias (22 March 2005). "Chart Log UK: Yanni – Yunus". Retrieved 2006-02-26.