Ontario Labour Relations Board
The Ontario Labour Relations Board is an adjudicative agency of the Ontario Ministry of Labour and was established by the Ontario government in 1948. It defines itself as "an independent, quasi-judicial tribunal mandated to mediate and adjudicate a variety of employment and labour relations-related matters under a number of Ontario statutes". Its current (2013) chair is Bernard Fishbein.
The Board deals with many types of applications relating to labour relations within the province of Ontario. Most cases at the OLRB involve either the Labour Relations Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, or the Employment Standards Act. One of the most important powers of the Ontario Labour Relations Board is the ability to certify trade unions as collective bargaining agents. The Board is also in charge of the union formation, termination and decertification. It also commonly deals with claims of unfair labour practices, occupational health and safety reprisals, duty of fair representation cases and, construction industry grievances, among others.
Decisions issued by the OLRB are made available on CanLII and commercial legal databases. All reported OLRB decisions back to 1944 are available in the Ontario Workplace Tribunal Library.
The Ontario Workplace Tribunals Library (OWTL) is attached to the Ontario Labour Relations Board and is open to the public. The library collects and organizes materials related to workplace health and safety, human rights/discrimination, pay equity, labour relations and employment law, administrative law and other related subjects. In addition to the Board, the Library provides services to the staff of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal.
The library also holds the OLRB collection of bargaining unit certificates issued from 1962 to the present. Certificates issued from 2007 onward are available on the OWTL website.
The Ontario Labour Relations Board publishes an annual report, bi-monthly reports of significant decisions and a monthly publication of summaries of significant decisions called “Highlights”.
- 1999 - Annual report.
- 2000-2001 - Annual report.
- 2001-2002 - Annual report.
- 2002-2003 - Annual report.
- 2003-2004 - Annual report.
- 2004-2005 - Annual report.
- Relations de travail | Ministère du Travail de l'Ontario.
- Pour nous joindre - La Commission des relations de travail de l'Ontario.
- En relief Commission des relations de travail de l'Ontario. (200412dec).
- Charlotte A. B. Yates, "Staying the Decline in Union Membership: Union Organizing in Ontario, 1985-1999.", in Relations Industrielles/Industrial Relations, vol. 55, n° 4, 2000, pp. 640–674, ISSN 0034-379X and ISSN 1703-8138, doi:10.7202/051352ar, Abstract.