Ontario Midland Railroad
|Dates of operation||1979–present|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge|
|Length||47 mi (76 km)|
|Headquarters||Sodus, New York|
It was created to operate a portion of the former Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg Railroad line from Oswego's West Yard to Suspension Bridge in Niagara Falls. The first OMID train operated October 1, 1979. The railroad initially operated from Hannibal in Oswego County to Webster in Monroe County. Subsequently operations ceased between Wolcott and Hannibal. The railroad also operates a line formerly operated by Conrail, Penn Central, Pennsylvania Railroad from Wallington to Newark to interchange with CSX's ex-Conrail Chicago Line. Early operations included runs to Sodus Point, where Genesee Brewing Company maintained a malt house operation until 1986 when the building closed.
The Marion Branch (former Newark & Marion Railway) was operated to serve cold storage warehouses, packing operations and a fertilizer dealer in Marion. Declining traffic and poor track conditions led to the end of its operation in July 1984.
During 1982 and 1983, a dinner train operation was operated out of Webster using privately owned equipment and OMID crews. For a number of years until 2004, the OMID operated fall foliage excursions between Sodus and Newark in conjunction with the Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum, which owns the former New York Central "Empire State Express" coach cars used for the trips.
In 1993, Ontario Midland severed its corporate partnership with the Ontario Central Railroad (ONCT). Known as the "Ontario Lines," this partnership also operated the short-lived Ontario Eastern Railroad (ONER), and the Allegheny Southern Railroad (ASRW).
Operations on the Ontario Midland use VHF radio communications at a frequency of 161.370 MHz. The OMID carries food products, lumber, fertilizer, pulpboard, and chemicals. It moves about 850 cars a year and currently operates 47 miles of track. The OMID operates Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (8:00-16:00).
The railroad's all time locomotive roster is, with the exception of Engine #5, all Alco. Ontario Midland Railroad currently has three locomotives in service...Engine #3 (painted in colors honoring the late NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt), Engine #36 and Engine #408.
- #3 is an Alco S-4 built in 1953, formerly of the Genesee & Wyoming & New York Central (NYC).
- #5 was a GE 45-ton built in 1944, formerly of the U.S. Army (USATC).
- #35 was an Alco S-4 built in 1959 formerly of the Genesee & Wyoming (GNWR).
- #36 is an Alco RS-11 built in 1957, formerly Norfolk & Western (N&W) #361.
- #40, now #408, is an Alco RS-36 built in 1962, formerly Norfolk & Western #408.
- #16 was an Alco S-2 built in 1948, formerly Wyandotte Terminal #106, originally of the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O).
- #17 was an Alco S-4 built in 1953, formerly Wyandotte Terminal #107, previously owned by the N&W. Today it is at Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum in Rush, New York. It has been re-painted into the Paint scheme of its original owner: the New York, Chicago & St.Louis (Nickel Plate Road (NKP)). The N&W absorbed the NKP in 1965. The 16 and 17 were never owned by the Ontario Midland. They were owned by RSA Leasing of Sodus, NY (a lineside community. From 1982 to 1985 17 was leased to Pennsylvania's Allegheny Southern Railroad. It was returned to Sodus in 1985. While in Pennsylvania it wore the number 17.
- #4056 was an Alco RS-3 built in 1953 for the Spokane, Portland & Seattle (SP&S). It was sold by SP&S successor Burlington Northern (BN).
- #4085 was an Alco RS-3 built in 1952, formerly of the Delaware & Hudson (D&H).
Ontario Lines Affiliated Companies
- Ontario Midland Railroad (OMID)
- Ontario Central Railroad (ONCT)
- Ontario Eastern Railroad (ONER)
- Jersey Southern Railroad (JSRW)
- Allegheny Southern Railroad (ASRW)
- Rail Services Associates
- Ontario Midland Railroad, Retrieved Mar. 14, 2018.
- The Greater Rochester Railfan Page - Ontario Midland Railroad, Retrieved Mar. 14, 2018.
- Historic Sodus Point - Malt House, Retrieved Mar. 14, 2018.
- Alco World - Alcos of the Ontario Midland Railroad, Retrieved Mar. 14, 2018.
- The Diesel Shop - Ontario Midland Roster, Retrieved Mar. 14, 2018.