Premier of Ontario
|Premier of Ontario|
|Executive Council of Ontario|
|Status||Head of Government|
|Reports to||Legislative Assembly; Lieutenant Governor of Ontario|
|Seat||Queen's Park, Toronto|
|Appointer||Lieutenant Governor of Ontario|
|Term length||At Her Majesty's pleasure|
|Inaugural holder||John Sandfield Macdonald|
|Formation||July 16, 1867|
|Deputy||Deputy Premier of Ontario|
|Salary||$208,974 (since 2008)|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
|Politics by province / territory|
Appointment and history
The premier is appointed as the province's head of government by the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario and presides over the Executive Council, or Cabinet. The Executive Council Act stipulates that the leader of the government party is known as the "Premier and President of the Council". The position was formerly styled "Prime Minister of Ontario" until the ministry of Bill Davis formally changed the title to premier. Ontario's first premier was John Sandfield Macdonald, in office from 1867 to 1871. The longest serving premier in Ontario history was Sir Oliver Mowat, in office from 1872 to 1896.
Office of the Premier of Ontario
The Office of the Premier of Ontario includes a number of committees:
- Priorities and Planning Committee
- Cabinet Committee on Emergency Management
- Treasury Board/Management Board of Cabinet
- Legislation and Regulations Committee
- Health, Education and Social Policy Committee
- Jobs and Economic Policy Committee
- List of premiers of Ontario
- Politics of Ontario
- Premier (Canada)
- Deputy Premier of Ontario
- Leader of the Opposition (Ontario)
- "John Sandfield Macdonald, MPP". Legislative Assembly website. Legislative Assembly on Ontario. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- "Ontario MPPs salary freeze won't be lifted before 2019". CBC. January 20, 2017. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "Twenty-five years ago, the end of a double life". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Office of the Premier of Ontario - committees". Premier.gov.on.ca. Retrieved 3 June 2018.