Metropolitan Onufriy (Onuphrius, secular name Orest Volodymyrovych Berezovsky, Ukrainian: Орест Володимирович Березовський, Russian: Орест Владимирович Березовский; 5 November 1944, Korytne, Chernivtsi Oblast) is the current head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate).
He was born 5 November 1944 in Chernivtsi Oblast as the son of a priest. In 1961 he graduated from high school. From 1962 to 1964 he studied at the Chernivtsi technical school, after which he worked in construction organizations in Chernivtsi.
In 1966, he joined the technical faculty of the Chernivtsi University, and in 1969, after the third year, entered in the second class of the Moscow Theological Seminary; the following year, he became part of the brotherhood of the Trinity Sergius Laura.
After 18 years, Archimandrite Onufriy went back to Ukraine as the superior of the Pochayiv Lavra of the Holy Assumption. Two years later, he became Bishop of Chernivtsi and Bukovyna, serving this diocese for 23 years.
In 1988 he graduated from the Moscow Theological Academy as a candidate in theology.
On December 9, 1990, he was consecrated Bishop of Chernivtsi and Bukovyna at the St Volodymyr's Cathedral in Kiev.
January 22, 1992 refused to sign the appeal of the bishop meeting of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II with the requirement to provide autocephalous Church in Ukraine, and on January 23 he was transferred by Metropolitan Philaret (Denysenko) to Ivano-Frankivsk diocese.
April 7, 1992 was restored by the Diocese of Chernivtsi.
February 24, 2014 the Holy Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church elected him by secret ballot for the post of locum tenens of the Kiev metropolitan chair in connection with a medical certificate of inability of Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine to perform the duties of the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
Onufriy refused to stand up when the Ukrainian parliament honoured the Ukrainian fighters of the War in Donbass (against pro-Russian separatists), but later commented it. In August 2014 Onufriy stated that there were no priests in his church who supported separatism. His church usually abstained from commenting on the 2014–15 Russian military intervention in Ukraine.
- Metropolitan Onufriy of Chernivtsi and Bukovyna elected head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate), Interfax-Ukraine (13 August 2014)
- Russian Orthodox Church lends weight to Putin patriotism, BBC News (21 August 2015)
- "Коментар Блаженнішого Митрополита Онуфрія для ЗМІ (ВІДЕО) - Українська Православна Церква". 9 May 2015.
- Patriarch Filaret: Moscow church does not serve needs of people, Kyiv Post (2 October 2014)
- "Metropolitan Onufry Berezovsky Elected as the Locum Tenens of the Metropolitan Diocese of Kiev | Voices from Russia". 02varvara.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2014-03-13.
- "Metropolitan Onufry of Chernovtsy and Bukovina elected Locum Tenens of Metropolitanate of Kiev - News | Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE". theorthodoxchurch.info. Retrieved 2014-03-13.