|Chief of Staff of the Presidency|
|Assumed office |
1 January 2019
|Preceded by||Eliseu Padilha|
|Federal Deputy for Rio Grande do Sul|
1 February 2003 – 1 January 2019
|State Deputy of Rio Grande do Sul|
1 January 1995 – 1 January 2003
Onyx Dornelles Lorenzoni
3 October 1954
Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
|Political party||DEM (Since 2007)|
|Mother||Dalva Dornelles Lorenzoni|
|Father||Rheno Julio Lorenzoni|
|Education||Federal University of Santa Maria (BA)|
Onyx Dornelles Lorenzoni (born 3 October 1954) is a Brazilian politician, businessman, and veterinarian. A member of the Democrats (DEM), he is currently a Federal Deputy from Rio Grande do Sul in his fourth term. After the 2018 Brazilian general election, president-elect Jair Bolsonaro invited Lorenzoni to be Chief of Staff. He was also designated leader of the transition team.
Lorenzoni was elected State Deputy of Rio Grande do Sul in 1994 for the Liberal Party (PL) (merged with Party of the Republic in 2006). In 2003, now in the Liberal Front Party (PFL), he was elected Federal Deputy, being one of the strongest opponents of the government of president Luís Inácio Lula da Silva and the Workers' Party (PT).
During his terms in the Chamber of Deputies, Lorenzoni was a member of the Mixed Inquiry Parliamentary Committee (CPMI), investigating Correios, Cachoeira (illegal gambling entrepreneur Carlinhos Cachoeira), and Petrobras.
On 2016, Lorenzoni voted for the impeachment of then president Dilma Rousseff (PT). During the government of Michel Temer (MDB), Lorenzoni supported the Constitutional Amendment nº.95 (New Tax Regime) and Labor Reform. On August and September 2017, the Deputy voted against the reports that rejected two complaints made by the then Prosecutor General Rodrigo Janot against president Temer.
In 14 March 2017, Prosecutor General Rodrigo Janot sent to the Supreme Federal Court 83 inquiries based in pleas made by 78 executives of Odebrecht, being mentioned in Odebrecht testimonies. In June 2018, Supreme Court Justice Luiz Fux rejected the inquiry: "The steps taken were not enough to elucidate the materiality of the alleged crime". To the RBS TV, Lorenzoni assumed the irregularity, claiming that he "couldn't" declare the money to the Electoral Justice, and that the cipher would be less than the R$200,000[a] cited by Ricardo Saud.
In 2016, Lorenzoni was part of the committee that turned the ten anti-corruption measures proposed by the Federal Public Prosecutor's Office into law. During the process of discussion, four versions of the report were presented.
The first report Lorenzoni presented on 9 November criminalised "caixa 2" and proposed integrity tests for public agents with solely administrative consequences, while the original text had proposed criminal and civil lawsuits.
The second report, presented on 21 November, typified the crime of "caixa 2", with sentences of two to five years for people who use non-declared resources in electoral campaigns. These changes were seen as a way for politicians who used "caixa 2" before the change in law to seek amnesty, although the report had not proposed the amnesty directly. Also, vote selling was typified as crime. This version had 17 measures.
Lorenzoni's third report on 22 November decreased the number of measures from 17 to 12, removing those that mentioned popular lawsuits and international cooperation pleas.
The fourth report, with 20 changes from the previous one, was presented on 23 November. Among the changes there were: raising the minimum amount required for active and passive corruption to be considered a major crime from 100 to 10,000 minimum wage equivalents (about R$8.8 million); removal of the time to set up investigations and finish denounces;[clarification needed] prosecuting those who practice it in the name of a candidate (in addition to the candidates themselves, their political parties and donors). The Committee unanimously approved this version the same day, with 30 votes in favour.
Prison in second instance
In October 2016, Lorenzoni supported the decision of the Supreme Federal Court of allowing the prison of defendants convicted in second instance, and said the will include it among the anti-corruptions measures. "What are we gonna do? We're gonna bring this decision of the Supreme Federal Court and put in the final report. In other words, from now on, there is a decision of the Supreme Court and in a few months there will be, in the Brazilian Code of Penal Procedure, the same decision confirmed in a law by the Brazilian parliament", he said.
"Caixa 2" amnesty
In November 2016, Lorenzoni opposed "caixa 2" amnesty, along with Deputies Fernando Francischini (SD-PR), Alessandro Molon (REDE-RJ), Vanderlei Macris (PSDB-SP), Carlos Sampaio (PSDB-SP), Joaquim Passarinho (PSD-PA), and Senators Álvaro Dias (PV-PR) and Ana Amélia Lemos (PP-RS), listening to the claims of the civil society that signed for the approval of the 10 Anti-corruption Measures, and of the Public Prosecutor's Office, author of the bill.
In November 2016, in an interview in the Brazilian TV show Roda Viva, Deputy Lorenzoni reaffirmed his opposition to legal immunity. "There is, in the country, a feeling of impunity. I hope the Congress take this moment to make a conciliation with the streets. The parliamentaries need to have capacity and humility to listen to the voice of the streets".
- US$54,123 as of 3 November 2018.
- "A trajetória de Onyx Lorenzoni, futuro ministro da Casa Civil de Bolsonaro" (in Portuguese). Exame. 31 October 2018. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- Alegretti, Laís; Carvalho, Daniel (31 October 2018). "Equipe de Bolsonaro entrega 22 nomes do grupo de transição ao Planalto" (in Portuguese). Folha de S. Paulo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Composição da CPMI - Correios - 2005" (in Portuguese). Senado Federal. Retrieved 13 May 2019.
- "Entenda como funciona a CPI do Cachoeira no Congresso" (in Portuguese). O Globo. 12 April 2012. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Composição da CPMI - PETROBRAS - 2014" (in Portuguese). Senado Federal. Retrieved 13 May 2019.
- "Veja como deputados votaram no impeachment de Dilma, na PEC 241, na reforma trabalhista e na denúncia contra Temer" (in Portuguese). G1. 2 August 2017. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Votação da rejeição da 2ª denúncia contra Temer" (in Portuguese). G1. 25 October 2017. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Petições em março de 2017" (in Portuguese). Ministério Público Federal. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Delação da Odebrecht: Onyx Lorenzoni é suspeito de financiar campanha com dinheiro de caixa 2" (in Portuguese). G1. 12 April 2017. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- Cury, Teo; Pupo, Amanda (8 June 2018). "STF arquiva inquérito contra Onyx Lorenzoni por caixa 2" (in Portuguese). Estadão. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- Fruet, Nathalia (19 May 2017). "Relator do pacote anticorrupção na Câmara confirma ter recebido doações irregulares da JBS" (in Portuguese). G1. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Evangélicos são protagonistas na luta contra corrupção em Brasília" (in Portuguese). Gospel Prime. 9 August 2016. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- Calgaro, Fernanda (9 November 2016). "Relator apresenta a comissão parecer sobre projeto anticorrupção" (in Portuguese). G1. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- Garcia, Gustavo; Caram, Bernardo (21 November 2016). "Onyx inclui crime de caixa 2 em novo parecer do pacote anticorrupção" (in Portuguese). G1. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- Alessi, Gil (25 November 2016). "O que é a anistia para o caixa 2 eleitoral e como atinge a Lava Jato?" (in Portuguese). El País. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- Calgaro, Fernanda (22 November 2016). "Em novo parecer, relator reduz de 17 para 12 as medidas contra corrupção" (in Portuguese). G1. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- Calgaro, Fernanda (23 November 2016). "Relator apresenta quarta versão de parecer sobre pacote anticorrupção" (in Portuguese). G1. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- Nascimento, Luciano (23 November 2016). "Comissão aprova texto de relator e projeto anticorrupção vai para plenário" (in Portuguese). Bol. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Prisão após 2ª instância será incluída em pacote anticorrupção, diz relator" (in Portuguese). G1. 6 October 2016. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Prisão após segunda instância recebe elogios" (in Portuguese). Jornal Nacional. 6 October 2016. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- >Nascimento, Luciano (23 November 2016). "Presidente e relator de comissão anticorrupção repudiam anistia a caixa dois" (in Portuguese). Agência Brasil. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- ""No Congresso parece existir fantasma", diz Molon sobre anistia ao caixa dois" (in Portuguese). Jovem Pan. 25 November 2016. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Tentativa de votar proposta sobre caixa dois é alvo de críticas em comissão especial" (in Portuguese). Câmara dos Deputados. 20 September 2016. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Alvaro Dias critica tentativa de anistia a quem fez "caixa dois"" (in Portuguese). Senado Notícias. 20 September 2016. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Senadora é contra tentativa de anistiar Caixa 2" (in Portuguese). Senadora Ana Amélia. 14 November 2016. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- Nunes, Branca (26 November 2016). "Onyx Lorenzoni no Roda Viva: O foro privilegiado é uma excrescência que precisa ser eliminada" (in Portuguese). Veja. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
| Chief of Staff of the Presidency
|Order of precedence|
as Head of the Military Cabinet
| Brazilian order of precedence
9th in line
as Chief of Staff
as Director of the Brazilian Intelligence Agency