Oona Chaplin in 2016
|Born||Oona Castilla Chaplin
4 June 1986
|Alma mater||Royal Academy of Dramatic Art|
|Relatives||See Chaplin family|
Oona Castilla Chaplin [ˈuna kasˈtija ˈt͡ʃaplin] (born 4 June 1986), known professionally as Oona Chaplin, is a Spanish actress. Her roles include Talisa Maegyr in the HBO TV series Game of Thrones, The Crimson Field and the series Taboo.
A member of the Chaplin family, she is the daughter of actress Geraldine Chaplin, the granddaughter of English filmmaker and actor Charlie Chaplin, and the great-granddaughter of American playwright Eugene O'Neill. She was named after her maternal grandmother Oona O'Neill, Charlie's wife.
Oona Chaplin was born in Madrid to Anglo-American actress Geraldine Chaplin and Chilean cinematographer Patricio Castilla. Her paternal grandmother is Mapuche. She was named after her maternal grandmother, Oona O'Neill Chaplin. She spent her childhood mostly in Spain, Great Britain, Switzerland, and Cuba, but also travelled often because of her mother's film career. She started dancing ballet, salsa and flamenco at an early age.
When Chaplin was fifteen, she began studying at Gordonstoun School in Scotland on a drama scholarship. During her time there, she appeared in several school plays, touring the United Kingdom in an adaptation of Romeo and Juliet and impersonating her grandfather in the role of Bottom in an adaptation of A Midsummer Night's Dream, which was performed at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. After leaving Gordonstoun, she was accepted to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, from which she graduated in 2007. Oona has a half-brother named Shane from her mother's previous relationship with film director, Carlos Saura.
Since graduating from RADA, Chaplin has acted in mainly British and Spanish short and feature films. She has played alongside her mother in three feature films: Inconceivable, ¿Para qué sirve un oso? and Imago Mortis. Chaplin has also had several supporting roles in British and American television. In 2010, she appeared as a Brazilian cage dancer in ITV's Married Single Other (2010), followed by roles as the wife of one of the main characters, Hector Madden, in the BBC period drama The Hour (2011–2012), as Dr. John Watson's girlfriend in an episode of BBC's Sherlock (2012) and as Talisa Maegyr in HBO's Game of Thrones (2012–2013).
Chaplin joined the cast of James Cameron's Avatar sequels in June 2017. Her character, named Varang, is described as "a strong and vibrant central character who spans the entire saga of the sequels".
|Ancestors of Oona Chaplin|
|2008||First, Love?||Laura – Flower Girl||Short film|
|2008||Quantum of Solace||Perla de las Dunas receptionist|
|2010||High and Dry||Sandra||Short film|
|2010||Vampyre compendium||Short film|
|2011||¿Para qué sirve un oso?||Rosa|
|2011||Devil's Double, TheThe Devil's Double||Beauty|
|2015||The Longest Ride||Ruth|
|2017||As We Like It|
|2007||Spooks||Kate||Episode: "The Virus (Part 2)"|
|2008||Spooks: Code 9||Kate||Episode 2|
|2009||Married Single Other||Fabiana||3 episodes|
|2010||El Gordo: Una historia verdadera||Silvia||2 episodes|
|2011–12||Hour, TheThe Hour||Marnie Madden||12 episodes|
|2012||Sherlock||Jeanette||Episode: "A Scandal in Belgravia"|
|2012–13||Game of Thrones||Talisa Maegyr||11 episodes|
|2014||Inside No. 9||Sabrina||Episode: "A Quiet Night In"|
|2014||The Crimson Field||Kitty Trevelyan||Main role, 6 episodes|
|2014||Black Mirror||Greta||Feature-length special:
|2017||Taboo||Zilpha Geary||8 episodes|
|2018||My Dinner with Hervé||Katie||Television film|
- "Chaplin's granddaughter acts up". BBC News. 23 July 2003. Retrieved 2 July 2007.
- Gilbert, Gerard (16 July 2011). "Funny Girl: The not-so-silent star Oona Chaplin". The Independent. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- "Oona Chaplin". Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. Archived from the original on 28 May 2012. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- Tyzack, Anna (11 August 2011). "My Perfect Weekend: Oona Chaplin". The Telegraph. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- Ross, David (28 April 2009). "Students step back in time to celebrate 75 years: Pupils and staff make it a special 1930s anniversary for Gordonstoun school". The Herald. p. 3.
- Thynne, Jane (30 July 2003). "Parents: Just like mum: Choosing the same career as a parent is very common – but not necessarily a good idea". The Guardian. p. 14.
- Swift, Andy (23 November 2015). "Tom Hardy's FX/BBC One Drama Taboo Adds 13, Begins Production". tvline.com. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- Dave McNary (June 20, 2017). "'Games of Thrones' Star Oona Chaplin Joins James Cameron's 'Avatar' Sequels". Variety. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- Rebecca Ford (June 20, 2017). "'Avatar' Sequels Add 'Game of Thrones' Actress Oona Chaplin". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "DigiSPAA Announces 2012 Finalists" (PDF). 17 October 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 April 2013. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- Trumbore, Dave (6 February 2014). "First Images from ALOFT Starring Jennifer Connelly, Cillian Murphy, Mélanie Laurent and William Shimell". Collider. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "'Mad Men' Star Jon Hamm Joins 'Black Mirror'". Variety.com. 29 September 2014. Retrieved 29 September 2014.