OpEdNews site logo
Type of site
|Created by||Rob Kall|
|Editor||Editor in chief: Rob Kall|
|Launched||28 February 2003|
|52,293 (August 2013[update])|
It is a hybrid news, community blog and article aggregation site that publishes opinion-based articles, news stories, and diaries while its mission, according to the site, is to "...provide a content management, social networking website that supports progressive communications resources and tools for activism and advocacy organizations." Being a news-source for many mainstream media, independent websites and blogs, OpedNews calls itself "a Drudge Report for progressives".
The site regularly features articles by journalists (including media critic Jeff Cohen and Pulitzer Prize winner Chris Hedges), politicians (including US Senator Bernie Sanders and former U.S. Representative Dennis Kucinich), and commentators and activists (including Michael Moore and Medea Benjamin) as well as first-time writers.
In 2014, technorati ranked OpEdNews.com among the top 100 blogs for politics, uspolitics. world, green, and health, and listed it as among the "Top 100 blogs overall", while Mediaite showed founder Kall ranked as one of the top 200 print/online columnists.
In early 2003, Kall had heard a Colin Powell speech about why the United States "had" to go to war with Iraq and felt that Powell's reasons were disingenuous. Wishing to "publish the Truth", Kall began a personal blog which developed into OpEdNews.
"OEN is a publication for the people. In the evolution of it I listened to the readers, writers, and editors. The more I listened to these people, the better the site did. Hardly anything is assigned – it’s just people writing about what they want out there, and expressing what they care about. Oped News is written by regular people. Watchdog organizations, whistle-blowers, and people interested in social responsibility like us because we’re inclined to publish them. One of the main purposes of Oped News is to give the people who know the real truth an opportunity to be heard. We get between 1000 and 2000 articles submitted each month." - [sic] Rob Kall 
OpEdNews' goal is to be holistic, to cover politics, arts (movies, books, music, theater, etc.,) sciences, health, mass media, business, technology, sports, travel, citizen journalism and various strange and unusual stuff.
OpEdNews uses a custom built content management system designed by founder Rob Kall, produced by populum.com. It includes features not found in other blog/media content management sites, such as an image search and insertion program that finds creative commons images and inserts them in content with attribution automatically included, a multi-level editing system that allows editors with different degrees of responsibility to access a queue of submitted articles and edit then accept or reject them. The site has over 50 editors who volunteer their time to review hundreds of submissions each month.
Senior Editorial Board:
- Executive editor: Rob Kall
- Managing editors: Sheila Samples, Linda Milazzo, John Moffett, Meryl Ann Butler
- Senior editors: Walter Brasch, Joan Brunwasser, Josh Mitteldorf, Scott Baker, Jerry Policoff, John Reed
The OpEdNews site and its contributing experts have been quoted by various sides of the political spectrum in sources including Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Washington Post, Philadelphia Inquirer, Chicago Tribune, RT News, Fox News, NewsMax, Breitbart, as well as Free Republic, RedState, and Townhall.com.
The opinions shared by experts on the OpEdNews.com website have themselves been used as sources upon which many books have been written and published.
The site was a nominee in the 2007 Blogger's Choice Awards for 'Best Political Blog', 'Best Blog Design', and 'Best Education Blog.
In 2013, Opednews (new media) and founder Rob Kall became the first media winners of the Pillar Human Rights Award for International Persons of Conscience for supporting whistleblowers and the first amendment, awarded by the 2013 Whistleblower Summit for Civil & Human Rights as hosted by ACORN 8 and Federally Employed Women-Legal Education Fund (FEW/LEF).
- staff (March 4, 2003). "About OpEdNews.Com" (Wayback Machine archive). OpEdNews.com. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "Opednews.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- Katalinas, Theresa (February 5, 2007). "Bucks Web site grabs piece of the online news market - The highly traveled opednews.com joins the ranks of a growing Web news base.". The Intelligencer. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- Singh, Asavari (May 12, 2009). "What the world is reading". Financial Express. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- Weiner, Ed (March 24, 2003). "Web War". Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "Jeff Cohen author page at OpEdNews". OpEdNews. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- "Chris Hedges". opednews.com. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- "Bernie Sanders". opednews.com. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- "Dennis Kucinich author page at OpEdNews". OpEdNews. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- "Michael Moore". opednews.com. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- "Medea Benjamin author page at OpEdNews". OpEdNews. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- staff (2014). "OpEdNews - OpEdNews.Com Progressive, Tough Liberal News and Opinion Site details". Technorati. Archived from the original on May 18, 2014. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Kall, Rob (March 8, 2010). "Progressive Message Won Big at Oscars". Huffington Post. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- Phillips, Marina (March 23, 2012). "A Voice For Truth – Rob Kall". OM Times Magazine. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- staff. "Member/Writers Guidelines". opednews.com. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- staff. "OpEdNews Masthead". opednews.com. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- Spritzler, John (April 30, 2014). "Beware of Dangerous Articles by Rob Kall of OpEdNews". Scoop. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- staff. "The Mediaite Influence Index: Rob Kall - #178 among Print / Online Columnists". Mediaite. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- Seib, Gerald F. (August 26, 2008). "Party's Left Pushes for a Seat at the Table". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- Baker, Peter (May 26, 2009). "Favorites of Left Don't Make Obama's Court List". The New York Times. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- Cillizza, Cheis (February 8, 2011). "The Fix". Washington Post. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- Ransom, Jan (October 7, 2011). "Commish sets rules on civilians' pix". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- Koehler, Robert (September 5, 2012). "Pragmatic racism". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- staff (October 11, 2011). "Occupy Boston leads to mass arrests". RT News. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- staff (January 5, 2009). "Obama Catches Heat From the Left". Fox News. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- Moneynews (August 8, 2011). "Baker: S&P Downgrade Is Another Rating Agency Failure". News Max. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- staff (June 22, 2008). "Tom Wolfe's Critique; Colin Powell; Jeb Bush; Wesley Clark". News Max. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- Manjarres, Javier (March 20, 2014). "Alan Grayson Attacks Navy Vet and GOP Congressional Opponent". Breitbart. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- Burgwin, Becky (March 16, 2004). "They Can Already Taste blood and They are Ready to Kill... Our America". Free Republic. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- staff (2008). "Fundamental Islam is Winning". RedState. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- Hengler, Greg (April 14, 2009). "'These Tax Day Tea Parties Are A Sham And A Fraud!'". Townhall.com. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- staff. "2007 Bloggers choice award nominees". May 9, 2007. bloggerschoiceawards.com. Archived from the original on September 27, 2013. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- McCray, Michael. "Whistleblower Summit Civil & Human Rights Conference July 29-31, 2013, Pillar Award Presentation". ACORN 8. Archived from the original on May 22, 2014. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- McCray, Michael (July 26, 2013). "CBC Chair Marcia Fudge, Senators Ron Wyden, Rand Paul and OpEdNews / Rob Kall honored with the Pillar Human Rights Award". Columbus Free Press. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- McCray, Michael (July 25, 2013). "CBC Chair Marcia Fudge, Senators Ron Wyden, Rand Paul and OpEdNews / Rob Kall honored with the Pillar Human Rights Award". OpEdNews. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- staff (October 23, 2013). "Rob Kall -Change from the Bottom Up" (audio link). Envision This. Retrieved May 20, 2014. transcript