OpenCandy is an adware module classified as malware by many anti-virus vendors. They flag OpenCandy due to its undesirable side-effects. It is designed to be installed on a personal computer during installation of other desired software. Produced by SweetLabs, it consists of a Microsoft Windows library incorporated in a Windows Installer. When a user installs an application that has bundled the OpenCandy library, an option appears to install software it recommends based on a scan of the user's system and geolocation. Both the option and offers it generates are selected by default and will be installed unless the user unchecks them before continuing with the installation.
OpenCandy's various undesirable side-effects include changing the user's homepage, desktop background or search provider, and inserting unwanted toolbars, plug-ins and extension add-ons in the browser. It also collects and transmits various information about the user and their Web usage without notification or consent.
The software was originally developed for the DivX installation, by CEO Darrius Thompson. When installing DivX, the user was prompted to optionally install the Yahoo! Toolbar. DivX received $15.7 million during the first nine months of 2008 from Yahoo and other software developers, after 250 million downloads.
Components of the program may have differing but similar names based on version.
Note that files dropped by this program usually have the 'hidden' and 'system' attributes set. In order to see or search for them, folder settings for "hide operating system files" will need to be unchecked, and "show hidden files and folders" will need to be checked.
Note: additional processes associated with any accepted offers may also run.
Registry keys have varying names, so that a search of the registry for "*opencandy*" will need to be done to find and delete them.
DNS and HTTP queries
Software known to have included OpenCandy
- Auslogics Disk Defrag
- CamStudio (since version 2.7 r316)
- CDBurnerXP (depending on version; alternate download without OpenCandy available; confirmed 2017-03-01)
- CrystalDiskInfo (except Portable Edition or Shizuku edition; confirmed 2015-10-24; dropped 2016-02-10)
- Darkwave Studio (dropped from version 4.7.0)
- EaseUS Partition Master Free 10.1
- FileMenu Tools free version
- FileZilla (present in 2013)
- Format Factory
- Foxit Reader (6.1.4 – 6.2.1)
- GOM Player
- ImgBurn (since version 220.127.116.11, though only on the version of the installer distributed directly from imgburn.com; the version distributed from the official mirror sites is adware-free)
- IZArc (dropped in version 4.2)
- MP3 Rocket
- MyPhoneExplorer (dropped March 2015)
- Orbit Downloader (confirmed 2015-10-24) 
- RIOT (except portable version)
- Reason Core Security (software)
- Sigil (dropped in version 0.5.0 and later)
- Trillian (dropped 5 May 2011)
- Ummy Video Downloader
- Veetle (except Linux version)
- WinSCP (through August 2012)
- PUP.Optional.OpenCandy, Malwarebytes, retrieved 3 February 2018
- OpenCandy, Sophos, retrieved 3 February 2018
- ADW_OPENCANDY, Trend Micro, retrieved 3 February 2018
- Virustotal analyses of OpenCandy, Virus Total, retrieved 3 February 2018
- Richards, Gizmo (16 April 2017), Controversial Advertising Program Now Being Embedded in More Software, Tech Support Alert, retrieved 2 February 2018
- ADW_OPENCANDY: Trend Micro page, 30 April 2016
- Needleman, Rafe (11 November 2008), OpenCandy brings ad market to software installs. What?, CNET news, retrieved 2009-08-18
- Marshall, Matt (10 November 2008), OpenCandy inserts recommendations when you install software, retrieved 2009-08-18
- "Inquiry about detection of Auslogics Defrag Free Edition - ESET NOD32 Antivirus".
- "Complete Version history / Release notes / Changelog".
-  Multiple Packages available
- "DarkWave Studio v5.5.5 for Windows 7/Vista/XP".
- End User License Agreement, retrieved September 2014
- "FileMenu Tools". www.lopesoft.com.
- "FileZilla OpenCandy". Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "Format Factory - Free media file format converter".
- "Does Foxit Reader free 6.1.4.0217 have malware?". Foxit Corporation Forums.
- Zenju. "FreeFileSync".
- "FrostWire: Downloader, BitTorrent Client and Media Player".
- "GOMlab.com include technical information and download link of GOM Player, GOM Audio, GOM Video Converter and GOM Remote".
- LIGHTNING UK! (2013-06-16). "The Official ImgBurn Website: Change log". www.imgburn.com. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
Changed: No longer bundling/offering the Ask.com toolbar in the setup program, OpenCandy now handles product offerings during installation.
- LIGHTNING UK! (2013-06-16). "The Official ImgBurn Website: Download". www.imgburn.com. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- "MD5 doesn't match any downloadable installers - ImgBurn General". forum.imgburn.com. 2016-10-29. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- "Wrong hash? - ImgBurn Support". forum.imgburn.com. 2016-06-23. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- "Wrong Hash 2 - ImgBurn Support". forum.imgburn.com. 2017-01-31. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- "ImgBurn". fileforum.betanews.com. 2013-06-17. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
CLEAN INSTALL! No OpenCandy bundled.
- "ImgBurn Download: Changelog". Softpedia. 2017-03-31. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
no more 'opencandy' adware!
- "Codecs.com | Downloads for ImgBurn 2.5.8". www.free-codecs.com. 2016-06-20. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
Download ImgBurn 2.5.8 - without OpenCandy!
- "ImgBurn". www.majorgeeks.com. 2016-06-23. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
This is a clean, no OpenCandy version.
- "IZArc News".
- gizmo, richards (2014-02-08). "Controversial Advertising Program Now Being Embedded in More Software". Gizmo's Freeware. Archived from the original on 2014-08-07. Retrieved 2014-08-30.
OpenCandy (OC) is a relatively new advertising product that more and more software developers are bundling with their programs. It can now be found in the installers of dozens of popular programs including IZArc, mirC, PrimoPDF, Trillian Astra and more.
- "MP3 Support Analysis - herdProtect".
- SEMU-Design. "FJ Software Development".
- "Malware scan of novaroma.v0.9.9.2.setup.exe (Novaroma) 56f9cfa760427a24ee21473cb547d77674184250 - Reason Core Security Labs".
-  On the Help/Facts page
- Discussions on pdfforge Forums Archived 4 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine.
- "PowerISO - Create, Burn, Mount, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive".
- "RIOT - Radical Image Optimization Tool Alternatives and Similar Software - AlternativeTo.net".
- "Detected by SpyHunter 4 HOSTS file monitor 11-23-2016".
- Schember, John (21 January 2012). "Sigil 0.5.0 Released". Retrieved 2012-03-17.
- "Ummy Video Downloader v1.7".
- "Malware on Install".
- "Antivirus scan for c5a31520f167138d88df23475fc85881b19f48b076419cc3f6b3c92d71482809 at 2016-06-24 09:43:13 UTC - VirusTotal".
- "WinSCP - OpenCandy". Archived from the original on 7 April 2014. Retrieved 3 April 2014.