|Original author(s)||David Woodhouse|
|Initial release||1.00 / March 18, 2009|
|Stable release||7.06 / March 17, 2015|
It was originally written as an open source replacement for Cisco's proprietary AnyConnect SSL VPN client, which is supported by several Cisco routers. As of 2013[update], the OpenConnect project also offers an AnyConnect-compatible server, and thus offers a full client-server VPN solution. The OpenConnect client has added support for Juniper Networks' SSL VPN in version 7.05 as well.
OpenConnect uses a protocol compatible with AnyConnect's SSL protocol, implemented within an open-source project unaffiliated with Cisco. AnyConnect VPNs utilize TLS and DTLS to encrypt and authenticate the encapsulated VPN traffic.
It is available on Solaris, Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and has graphical user interface clients for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, GNOME, and KDE. It is also available on mobile clients like Android devices, and has been integrated into router firmware packages such as OpenWrt.
- infradead.org - OpenConnect: Changelog
- "Development of OpenConnect was started after a trial of the Cisco client under Linux found it to have many deficiencies …"
- ocserv home page
- Tiso, John; Scholfield, Mark D.; Teare, Diane (2011). Designing Cisco Network Service Architectures (ARCH): Foundation Learning Guide. Foundation Learning Guides (3 ed.). Cisco Press. p. 464. ISBN 9781587142888. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
Cisco AnyConnect is a Cisco implementation of the thick client. Because the SSL VPN network extension runs on top of the SSL protocol, it is simpler to manage and has greater robustness with different network topologies such as firewalls and Network Address Translation (NAT) than the higher security of IPsec.
- "The OpenConnect VPN Protocol Version 1.0". github.com. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- "Openconnect graphical client". GitHub. Retrieved 2014-10-28.
- "NetworkManager". gnome.org. Retrieved 2014-10-28.
- "NetworkManagement". kde.org. Retrieved 2014-10-28.
- cernekee. "Android UI for OpenConnect VPN client". GitHub. Retrieved 2014-10-28.
- "VPN Overview". Wiki.openwrt.org. Retrieved 2014-10-28.