|Stable release||12.09 / 1 September 2012|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
The OpenDisc project offered a selection of high quality open source software on a disc for Microsoft Windows users. The aims of the project were "to provide a free alternative to costly software, with equal or often better quality equivalents to proprietary, shareware or freeware software for Microsoft Windows", and "to educate users of Linux as an operating system for home, business and educational use".
The project was created in September 2007 by former OpenCD project lead Chris Gray, who cited numerous difficulties which he believed were negatively affecting the progress of the Canonical-sponsored project. As of 27 September 2007, the OpenCD project is no longer under active development (the former OpenCD project was replaced by OpenDisc). The last updates to the OpenDisc project seem to have been in September 2012.
Each version contains a GUI menu that offers a description and installer for each program.
Version 12.09 includes what were the latest versions of the following software in September 2012:
- Design: Blender, Dia, GIMP, Inkscape, Scribus, Tux Paint
- Educational: CaRMetal, Guido van Robot, Maxima
- Games: The Battle for Wesnoth, Enigma, Freeciv, FreeCol, Nevergames, PokerTH, Sokoban YASC, TuxMath, TuxType
- Internet: Alliance, Azureus (now Vuze), FileZilla, Firefox, HTTrack, Miro, Pidgin, RSSOwl, SeaMonkey, Thunderbird, TightVNC
- Multimedia: Audacity, Avidemux, Celestia, InfraRecorder, Really Slick Screensavers, Songbird, Stellarium, Sumatra PDF, TuxGuitar, VLC media player
- Productivity: DjVuLibre, FreeMind, GanttProject, GnuCash, Notepad2, LibreOffice
- Utilities: 7-Zip, Abakt, ClamWin, GTK+, TrueCrypt, Workrave
- Design: Blender, Dia, The GIMP, Inkscape, Nvu, Scribus, Tux Paint
- Games: The Battle for Wesnoth, Enigma, Neverball, Sokoban YASC
- Internet: Vuze|Azureus (now Vuze), FileZilla, Firefox, HTTrack, Pidgin, RSSOwl, SeaMonkey, Thunderbird, TightVNC, WinSCP
- Multimedia: Audacity, Celestia, Really Slick Screensavers, Stellarium, Sumatra PDF, VLC media player
- Productivity: GnuCash, MoinMoin, Notepad2, LibreOffice, PDFCreator
- Utilities: 7-Zip, Abakt, ClamWin, GTK+, HealthMonitor, TrueCrypt, Workrave
There are several derivatives of the OpenDisc:
- OpenEducationDisc 10.10: simple English interface for students aged 11+, focused on educational functionality, several programs included which aren't in the OpenDisc such as GANTT Project, GraphCalc; chosen for their educational use. It won the Teach First school project competition in 2007.
- Translations: in progress As of 2010[update].
- VALO-CD: a Finnish project similar to OpenDisc.
- "OpenDisc 12.09 Released!". Theopendisc.com. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- "About the OpenDisc project". Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Mutiny aboard the good ship OpenCD, 27 September 2007.
- OpenCD homepage, 27 September 2007.
- "OpenDisc 11.09 Released!". Theopendisc.com. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "List of Programs included". Theopendisc.com. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
|This free software–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|