OpenLayers can communicate through several protocols
|Developer(s)||The OpenLayers Dev Team|
|Initial release||June 26, 2006|
6.4.3  / August 3, 2020
OpenLayers supports GeoRSS, KML (Keyhole Markup Language), Geography Markup Language (GML), GeoJSON and map data from any source using OGC-standards as Web Map Service (WMS) or Web Feature Service (WFS).
OpenLayers was created by MetaCarta after the O'Reilly Where 2.0 conference of June 29–30, 2005, and released as open source software before the Where 2.0 conference of June 13–14, 2006, by MetaCarta Labs. Two other open-source mapping tools released by MetaCarta are FeatureServer and TileCache. Since November 2007, OpenLayers has been an Open Source Geospatial Foundation project.
- "OpenLayers 6.4.3 Release Notes". August 13, 2020.
- "OpenLayers: Home". Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "History – OpenLayers 2". Archived from the original on 2007-10-18.
- "Conferences Header - ML Redesign".
- "OpenLayers Achève sa Phase d'Incubation - OSGeo.org". Archived from the original on 2009-03-31. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to OpenLayers.|