This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Number of locations
|Jonathan Morgan (CEO) Jay Emmet (Former General Manager)|
|Services||Enterprise mobile engagement|
One-way and two-way global SMS
Consulting & Professional Services
Number of employees
OpenMarket Inc. is a privately owned subsidiary of Amdocs that provides cloud-based mobile messaging solutions to enterprises, including global one-way and two-way SMS, MMS, RCS, and short codes, local numbers and text-enabled toll-free messaging solutions. In June 2006 the company was acquired by Amdocs, Inc. The company is headquartered in Seattle, Washington, United States, with offices in Detroit, London, Sydney, Pune, and Guadalajara.
OpenMarket began as part of Qpass, a technology company that specialized in providing the infrastructure for electronic payments. In February 2006, Qpass acquired Simplewire, a provider of mobile messaging, payments and other services, which began operations in 1999. In June 2006, Amdocs, Inc. acquired Qpass and separated the company into two divisions. OpenMarket became the division focused on enterprise mobile services. Later in June 2006, OpenMarket launched OpenMarket Exchange, a web-based system that enabled media companies and service providers to process direct-to-consumer mobile transactions.
On 23 March 2010, at the International CTIA Wireless conference, Amdocs announced the acquisition of MX Telecom, a London-based mobile messaging and payments aggregator for approximately $104 million. Amdocs acquired MX Telecom with the aim of expanding the OpenMarket business into new international markets with its CMX2 platform. In May 2010, OpenMarket announced enhancements to the CMX2 product, now known as the OpenMarket Mobile Engagement Platform. In late 2017, OpenMarket announced its expansion into RCS.
OpenMarket offers its suite of mobile messaging and engagement solutions to enterprises globally in a variety of industry sectors, including retail, financial services, high tech, call center, logistics, and travel and hospitality. These solutions support use cases across the organization such as customer feedback surveys, appointment reminders, emergency alerts, mobile coupons, and secure PIN authentication. The company processes more than one billion application-to-peer mobile messaging interactions per month, connecting businesses to over three billion users and six billion devices worldwide. It services over 400 enterprises globally, including four of the top 10 most respected global brands. On 17 February 2016, OpenMarket announced the launch of its global mobile messaging partner program, which brings together third-party solutions for companies interested in leveraging functionality beyond basic SMS. In 2018, OpenMarket began offering Rich Communication Services (RCS).
In 2014, OpenMarket commissioned a survey by International Data Corporation (IDC) on how enterprises use text messaging to communicate with their customers and employees. The survey was done with 600 respondents in the US, UK and eight countries in Europe and Asia.
In March 2016, Retail Week and OpenMarket surveyed 1,000 consumers aged 18–34 to find out more about their communication preferences on mobile. The results showed that 38% of respondents want to be contacted by retailers via SMS, with 83% of them wanting to get order confirmations, delivery information and click-and-collect information. In April 2016, OpenMarket conducted a survey among 500 millennials on their communication preferences. The survey revealed that over 75% millennials prefer texting over talking on phone.
- "Meet the OpenMarket management team". OpenMarket. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- Barker, Ian (10 April 2014). "OpenMarket introduces new messaging solutions for enterprise IT". Betanews. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- Paz-Frankel, Einat (24 February 2008). "Mercury hot for text messaging". American City Business Journals. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "OpenMarket Adds US Long Code Mobile Messaging Capabilities for Enterprise Operational and Customer Service Use Cases". MarketWatch. 8 July 2014. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "OpenMarket Survey/Infographic Reveal Millennials Prefer Texting But Marketers Miss the Boat".
- Barker, Ian (6 October 2014). "Using mobile messaging to deliver better customer service". Betanews. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "RCS: a text message fit for a king… or a customer". OpenMarket. 30 November 2017.
- The Harris Poll 2014 RQ Report: A Survey of the U.S. General Public Using the Reputation Quotient,” Nielsen, April 2014.
- "OpenMarket Introduces Global Partner Program". 10 February 2016.
- Olenski, Steve (20 March 2018). "Is RCS Poised To Overtake SMS For Text Messaging Supremacy?".
- Columbus, Louis. "IDC: 87% Of Connected Devices Sales By 2017 Will Be Tablets And Smartphones".
- "New study reveals the growing business impact of mobile messaging - ITProPortal.com". 29 April 2015.
- "Analysis: understanding what digital natives want from retailers".