openMosix was a free cluster management system that provided single-system image (SSI) capabilities, e.g. automatic work distribution among nodes. It allowed program processes (not threads) to migrate to machines in the node's network that would be able to run that process faster (process migration). It was particularly useful for running parallel applications having low to moderate input/output (I/O). It was released as a Linux kernel patch, but was also available on specialized Live CDs. openMosix development has been halted by its developers, but the LinuxPMI project is continuing development of the former openMosix code.
openMosix was considered stable on Linux kernel 2.4.x for the x86 architecture, but porting to Linux 2.6 kernel remained in the alpha stage. Support for the 64-bit AMD64 architecture only started with the 2.6 version.
On July 15, 2007, Bar announced that the openMOSIX project would reach its end of life on March 1, 2008, due to the decreasing need for SSI clustering as low-cost multi-core processors increase in availability.
|OS family||Linux distribution|
|Source model||Open source|
|Initial release||10 May 2003|
|Update method||APT (several front-ends available)|
|Kernel type||Linux kernel|
|Userland||GNU Core Utilities|
|License||Debian Free Software Guidelines and others|
Traditionally, clustered computing could only be achieved by setting up individual rsh keys, creating NFS shares, editing host files, setting static IPs, and applying kernel patches manually. ClusterKnoppix effectively renders most of this work unnecessary. The distribution contains an autoconfiguration system where new ClusterKnoppix-running computers attached to the network automatically join the cluster.
ClusterKnoppix is a modified Knoppix distro using the OpenMosix kernel.
- Bar, Moshe (2007-07-15). "openMosix Project End of Life Announcement". SourceForge.net. Retrieved 2007-07-18.
- Gianelloni, Chris; Mark Kowarsky; Donnie Berkholz; Daniel Black; Diego Pettenò; Kieth Gable (2007-02-19). "Gentoo package moves". Gentoo Weekly Newsletter. Gentoo Foundation, Inc. Retrieved 2007-10-12.
- "the openMosix Project". 2008-03-01. Retrieved 2008-03-01.
- http://slashdot.org/story/03/05/29/1336229/clusterknoppix. Missing or empty
- Official website
- Original page at wayback archive
- ClusterKnoppix at sourceforge.net
- Clusterknoppix at distrowatch
- Load-Balancing cluster HowTo using ClusterKnoppix