In cryptography, the OpenPGP card is an ISO/IEC 7816-4, -8 compatible smart card implementation that is integrated with many OpenPGP functions. Using this smart card, various cryptographic tasks (encryption, decryption, digital signing/verification, authentication etc.) can be performed. It allows the storage of secret key material in a secure manner; all versions of the protocol state, "Private keys and passwords cannot be read from the card with any command or function." However, a new key pair may be loaded onto the card at any time, overwriting the existing one.
Built on BasicCard, OpenPGP cards can be obtained from a distributor, or by becoming a fellow in Free Software Foundation Europe. Nitrokey and Yubico provide the OpenPGP card as a USB token.
The smart card daemon, in combination with the supported smart card readers, as implemented in GnuPG, can be used for many cryptographic applications. With gpg-agent in GnuPG 2, an ssh-agent implementation using GnuPG, an OpenPGP card can be used for SSH authentication also.
An OpenPGP card features a unique serial number to allow software to ask for a specific card. Serial numbers are assigned on a vendor base and vendors are registered with the FSFE.
Assigned vendor ids are:
|0x0001||PPC Card Systems|
The id range 0xff00 to 0xfffe can be used for randomly assigned serial numbers without a specific vendor. The ids 0x0000 and 0xffff may only be used for testing.
- OpenPGP Card specification - version 2.1.1, Achim Pietig, PPC Card Systems GmbH, 2014. URL: http://g10code.com/docs/openpgp-card-2.1.pdf
- The OpenPGP Card - How to use the Fellowship Smartcard - The GnuPG Smartcard HOWTO, Rebecca Ehlers, Thorsten Ehlers, et al., Free Software Foundation Europe e. V., 2005. URL: http://www.gnupg.org/howtos/card-howto/en/ch01.html#id2472312
- OpenPGP Card specification - version 1.1, Achim Pietig, PPC Card Systems GmbH, 2004. URL: http://www.g10code.com/docs/openpgp-card-1.1.pdf
- BasicCard - Smart cards, URL: http://www.basiccard.com/index.html?news.htm
- Kernel Concepts, http://shop.kernelconcepts.de
- The Fellowship Smartcard, https://wiki.fsfe.org/Migrated/FellowshipSmartCard
- Nitrokey, https://www.nitrokey.com/
- Required Hardware - How to use the Fellowship Smartcard - The GnuPG Smartcard HOWTO, Rebecca Ehlers, Thorsten Ehlers, et al., Free Software Foundation Europe e. V., 2005. URL: http://www.gnupg.org/howtos/card-howto/en/ch02s02.html#id2519120
- Aloaha Smartcard Connector. URL: http://www.aloaha.com/smartcard-software-en/aloaha-cryptographic-service-provider.php
- Aloaha Smartlogin. URL: http://www.aloaha.com/smartcard-software-en/aloaha-credential-provider.php