|Developer(s)||Alan Kay, David Smith, Andreas Raab, David Reed, Ron Teitelbaum, Community source|
|Operating system||macOS, Windows, Linux|
|Type||Virtual workspaces, video conferencing, collaboration|
|License||GNU GPL v2|
OpenQwaq is open source computer software for immersive collaboration, which enables organizations to implement online 3D virtual world workspaces for their specific needs. OpenQwaq is based on the Teleplace technology, a conferencing platform that has been in the market since 2007, with the name Qwaq Forums until 2009.
Both OpenQwaq and Teleplace are based on the Squeak open source implementation of Smalltalk and the Croquet Project. The main developers of this family of technologies include Alan Kay, David Smith, Andreas Raab and David Reed, whose 1978 doctoral thesis on naming and synchronizations in a decentralized computer system introduced many of the main concepts. Teleplace virtual workspaces were used by companies, universities, organizations and U.S. government agencies, such as the Air Force, Army, Navy and Department of Veterans Affairs for training and collaboration, have applications to telepresence based e-learning, and have been used for popular interactive online technology talks. Teleplace ceased operations in December 2011. 3D ICC Purchased the IP from Teleplace in 2012.
The initial release of OpenQwaq was functionally equivalent to Teleplace with the exception of the video subsystem used for webcam videoconferencing, video playback and session recording, because the proprietary video codecs used in Teleplace could not be included as open source. Developers have then integrated in OpenQwaq the open source video and audio codecs used in the VLC media player. Following a standard open source technology business model, companies offering value added OpenQwaq hosting and consulting services have been formed.
- Fully Interactive Applications
- Firefox Web Browser
- Allows for custom face image and badge
- Allows Web Cam to be displayed as face
- Animated Avatar
- Balloon Head
- With string!
- Digital video recording
- Sound files
- Python Scripting of 2d applications and 3d objects
- Meeting controls
- Drag and drop 3D objects
- Open Cobalt – another open source collaboration application based on the Croquet Project
- www.3dicc.com - Immerisve Terf
- Marcus Fix (Nov 8, 2010). "Naming and synchronizations in a decentralized computer system by David P. Reed".
- Croquet 1.0 SDK Manual
- "USDA Awards Contract for Teleplace as a vGov Virtual World Platform".
- "Telepresence Education for a Smarter World".
- "Separating Hope From Hype In Quantum Computing".
- "Carboncopies–Realistic Routes to Substrate-Independent Minds".
- "Teleplace gone; 3D ICC steps in to help customers".
- "About 3d ICC Forward".
- "Moving Immersive Collaboration Forward".
- "Teleplace open sources OpenQwaq".
- "Why Teleplace went open source".
- "OpenQwaq Open Source Project Provides Virtual Workspaces for Collaboration".
- "3d Immersive Collaboration Consulting".
- "TeleXLR8 wants to be the "TED" for virtual worlds".
- "teleXLR8 returns, featuring quantum physicist Gildert on 'Hack the Multiverse!'".
- "Giulio Prisco: SecondPlace, QwaqLife or TeleSim?".
- "Welcome to the Pentacle QUBE".
- OpenQwaq main website on Google Code