This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Original author(s)||Roy Marples|
|Initial release||5 April 2007|
0.41.2 / 26 February 2019
|Operating system||Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, TrueOS|
|License||2-clause BSD license|
Since 0.25 OpenRC includes openrc-init, which can replace /sbin/init, but the default provider for the init program is SysVinit for OpenRC. As well as Linux, OpenRC can also be used on several BSD systems. It was created by a NetBSD developer, who started the Gentoo/FreeBSD project.
OpenRC is the default init system of TrueOS, Gentoo, Alpine Linux, Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre, Parabola GNU/Linux-libre, Artix Linux, Maemo Leste and other unix-like systems, while some others such as Devuan offer it as an option. That means that the software packages and daemons of those systems/distributions support it, coming with or using the available scripts.
OpenRC provides the following features:
- Portable between Linux, TrueOS, FreeBSD, and NetBSD
- Parallel service startup (optional, in development)
- Dependency based boot-up
- Process segregation through cgroups
- Per-service resource limits (ulimit)
- Separation of code and configuration (init.d / conf.d)
- Easily extensible startup scripts customizable by users
- Ability to include an unlimited variety of commands beyond basic "start, stop, and status"
- Stateful init scripts (is it started already?)
- Complex init scripts to start multiple components (Samba (smbd and nmbd), NFS (nfsd, portmap, etc.))
- Automatic dependency calculation and service ordering
- Proper integration into container/virtualization (Linux-VServer, OpenVZ, etc.)
- Proper modular architecture and separation of optional components (Cron, syslog)
- Expressive and flexible network handling (including VPN, bridges, etc.)
- Support for bare-metal bare-dependency servers
- Verbose debug mode
- "openrc-0.41.2". Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- "openrc", Analysis Summary, Ohloh, retrieved 2012-03-10
- "4. Post Installation Configuration — TrueOS® User Guide". www.trueos.org. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Devuan ASCII 2.0.0 stable release". Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- Parallel startup in OpenRC was disabled by default due to bug 391945 (boot can hang when rc_parallel=yes)
- gentoo-embedded post, 29 Jul 2011
- Using Mdev on Gentoo