OpenShot main window
|Original author(s)||Jonathan Thomas|
|Developer(s)||OpenShot Studios, LLC|
|Initial release||August 2008|
2.2 / December 21, 2016
|Operating system||FreeBSD, Linux, macOS, Windows|
|Type||Video editing software|
|License||GNU General Public License, version 3 or later|
OpenShot Video Editor is a free and open-source video editor for FreeBSD, Linux, macOS, and Windows. The project was started in August 2008 by Jonathan Thomas, with the objective of providing a stable, free, and friendly to use video editor.
Video formats and codecs supported
Openshot supports commonly used codecs that are supported by FFmpeg like WebM (VP9), AVCHD (libx264), HEVC (libx265) and audio codecs like mp3 (libmp3lame) and aac (libfaac). The program can render MPEG4, ogv, Blu-ray and DVD video, and Full HD videos for uploading to internet video websites.
Previous versions of OpenShot have been widely criticized as being unreliable.  Developers responded by saying that the instability of OpenShot comes from the instability of libraries it relies on, specifically the MLT library and GTK Timeline. The OpenShot 2 series uses its own library for video processing, removing the requirement for the unstable libraries. Developers state that this will make the newly released version of the software more stable.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to OpenShot.|
- Marius Nestor (1 October 2015). "OpenShot 2.0 Video Editor to Be Released Soon for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows 10". softpedia.
- "OpenShot Video Editor | Download". Openshot.org. Retrieved 2012-09-03.
- "OpenShot Video Editor | Simple, powerful, and free video editor for Linux!". Openshot.org. 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- Silviu Stahie (1 June 2015). "OpenShot Video Editor to Get a Ten-Fold Increase in Performance Speed". softpedia.
- "Free OpenShot Video Editor is Tremendous". PCWorld. 17 June 2011.
- "OpenShop video editor big in 2014". opensource.com.
- Brady Dale. "These Free Video Editors Can Match the Pricey Ones' Features". Observer.
- Carla Schroder. "How To Make Movies in Linux With OpenShot - Linux.com". Linux.com - The source for Linux Information.