0.8.1.1 / 1 August 2015
OpenSimulator is an open-source server platform for hosting virtual worlds and the Metaverse. At one point, it was compatible with the client for Second Life but compatibility has waned for several years.
OpenSimulator is written in C# and is designed to be easily expanded through the use of plugin modules. OpenSimulator can operate in one of two modes: standalone or grid mode. In standalone mode, a single process handles the entire simulation. In grid mode, various aspects of the simulation are separated among multiple processes, which can exist on different machines.
OpenSimulator uses loadable modules for most of its functionality. These loadable modules can be independently developed to add functionality to the server.
OpenSimulator currently uses an outdated Second Life protocol for client to server communication, and requires retrofitting to the Second Life client in order to connect. Interoperability with Second Life protocols was once a design goal since 2007. Unfortunately, development of Second Life increased as developer interest in OpenSimulator declined and interoperability with Second Life is no longer a design goal as of OSCC2015. OpenSim also uses an architecture known as "Hypergrid", which allows users to teleport between multiple OpenSim-based virtual worlds by providing a hyperlinked map which indexes public grids. This allows for public grids to retain teleportation links to each other without having to be on the same grid.
- Open Wonderland – A Java-based open source 3D toolkit for creating collaborative virtual worlds.
- IBM Virtual Universe Community – One of the largest contributors to the OpenSim project.
- Open Cobalt – A decentralized open source virtual world architecture.
- High Fidelity Inc - A "next-generation" social virtual reality platform.
- Project Sansar - A virtual experience development platform
- OpenSimulator Download Page
- "Configuration". OpenSimulator.org.
- "Getting Started with Region Modules". OpenSimulator.org.
- White, Brian (2008-08-11). "A Bridge between Virtual Worlds: Second Life's new program links virtual environments.". Technology Review. MIT. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- "Hypergrid". OpenSimulator.org.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to OpenSimulator.|