|Founded||22 August 2006|
|Type||Company limited by guarantee|
|Expenses||£91,607 (expenses for 2011-12)|
The OpenStreetMap Foundation is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales on 22 August 2006. It is a non-profit foundation whose aim is to support and enable the development of freely-reusable geospatial data. As its name suggests, it is closely connected with the OpenStreetMap project, although its constitution does not prevent it supporting other projects.
OSMF is a membership organisation, with all members entitled to vote at a general meeting on foundation activities. OSMF members do not determine how OpenStreetMap itself operates, only the foundation.[clarification needed] Membership is open to all on payment of the membership fee of £15 per year.
The foundation is run by a board of seven members, including the foundation's officers: chairman, secretary and treasurer.
- Kate Chapman (Chairperson)
- Heather Leson (Secretary)
- Frederik Ramm (Treasurer)
- Mikel Maron
- Paul Norman
- Joost Schouppe
- Tobias Knerr
The foundation works in partnership with local chapters which coordinate the mapping communities of various countries:
|Belgium||Open Knowledge Belgium, trading as "OpenStreetMap Belgium"|
|Germany||FOSSGIS, trading as "OpenStreetMap Deutschland"|
|Iceland||OpenStreetMap á Íslandi|
|Italy||Wikimedia Italy, trading as "OpenStreetMap Italia"|
|Switzerland||Swiss OpenStreetMap Association|
|United Kingdom||OpenStreetMap United Kingdom|
The foundation is funded by a combination of membership fees and specific larger donations. Notably MapQuest donated $50,000 to the foundation in 2011, and Esri donated an undisclosed amount in 2012.
- "Finances/Income 2012 - OSMF". Osmfoundation.org. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- "Company Details". Companies House. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "Corporate Members". Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "Membership/Statistics". OpenStreetMap Foundation. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "Officers & Board". OpenStreetMap Foundation. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "Officers & Board".
- "Board Member Bios". OpenStreetMap Foundation.
- "Local Chapters". Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- Coast, Hurricane. "Donation to OSMF by MapQuest/AOL". Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Donation from Esri". Retrieved 14 November 2012.