|Founded||August 22, 2006|
|Type||Company limited by guarantee|
|Expenses||£91,607 (expenses for 2011-12)|
|Mission||Supporting the OpenStreetMap project|
It is a non-profit foundation whose aim is to support and enable the development of freely-reusable geospatial data. As its name suggests, it is closely connected with the OpenStreetMap project, although its constitution does not prevent it supporting other projects.
OSMF is a membership organisation, with all members entitled to vote at a general meeting on foundation activities. OSMF members do not determine how OpenStreetMap itself operates, only the foundation. Membership is open to all on payment of the membership fee of £15 per year. As of December 2015[update], there were 701 members.
The foundation is funded by a combination of membership fees and specific larger donations. Notably MapQuest donated $50,000 to the foundation in 2011, and Esri donated an undisclosed amount in 2012.
The foundation is run by a board of seven members, including the foundation's officers: chairman, secretary and treasurer.
In December 2015, the current board was announced:
- Peter Barth
- Kate Chapman (Chairperson)
- Martijn van Exel
- Mikel Maron
- Paul Norman (Secretary)
- Frederik Ramm (Treasurer)
- Ilya Zverev
- "Membership statistics". OpenStreetMap Foundation. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Finances/Income 2012 - OSMF". Osmfoundation.org. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- "Company Details". Companies House. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "Membership". OpenStreetMap Foundation. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- Coast, Hurricane. "Donation to OSMF by MapQuest/AOL". Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Donation from Esri". Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Corporate Members". Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "Officers & Board". OpenStreetMap Foundation. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "Officers & Board".