OpenVR is a software development kit (SDK) and application programming interface developed by Valve for supporting the SteamVR (HTC Vive) and other virtual reality headset (VR) devices. The SteamVR platform uses it as the default application programming interface (API) and runtime. It serves as the interface between the VR hardware and software and is implemented by SteamVR.
Although OpenVR is the default SDK for HTC Vive, it was developed to have multiple vendor support. For instance, a developer can design OpenVR-based trigger button functions for controllers of Oculus Rift or Windows MR because these systems are both supported by the SDK.
- OSVR, an open-source library with similar goals by Sensics, Razer and a community of partners and contributors
- OpenXR, an open, royalty-free standard for access to virtual reality and augmented reality platforms and devices
- Alex Wawro (30 Apr 2015). "Gamasutra - Valve launches new OpenVR SDK to expand SteamVR development".
- Peter Smith (1 May 2015). "Valve releases OpenVR SDK to the masses, says there's still time to apply for a free HTC Vive Development unit". ITworld.
- Road to VR (20 July 2015). "Making Valve's OpenVR Truly Inclusive for VR Headsets - Road to VR". Road to VR.
- "Valve launches OpenVR dev kit for virtual reality hardware makers - GamesBeat - Games - by Dean Takahashi". VentureBeat. May 2015.
- Macdonald, Mickey (2018). Mastering C++ Game Development: Create professional and realistic 3D games using C++ 17. Birmingham: Packt Publishing Ltd. p. 308. ISBN 9781788629225.
- Egger, Jan (2017-03-12). "HTC Vive MeVisLab integration via OpenVR for medical applications". PLoS ONE 12(3): e0173972. Retrieved 2020-04-22.
- Lang, Ben (2019-01-08). "HTC Confirms Vive Cosmos Will Support OpenVR/SteamVR". Road to VR. Retrieved 2019-07-18.
- Linowes, Jonathan (2018). Unity Virtual Reality Projects: Learn Virtual Reality by developing more than 10 engaging projects with Unity 2018, 2nd Edition. Birmingham: Packt Publishing Ltd. p. 135. ISBN 9781788477185.
- Matt Porter (19 May 2015). "Valve's OpenVR Signs Up to Razer's Virtual Reality Standard". IGN.
- Peter Smith (19 May 2015). "Report: Valve OpenVR joins OSVR (open source virtual reality) initiative". ITworld.
|This computing article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|