Open Access Week
Open Access Week is an annual scholarly communication event focusing on open access and related topics. It takes place globally during the last full week of October in a multitude of locations both on- and offline. Typical activities include talks, seminars, symposia, or the announcement of open access mandates or other milestones in open access. For instance, the Royal Society chose Open Access Week 2011 to announce that they would release the digitized backfiles of their archives, dating back from 1665 till 1941.
Open Access Week has its roots in the National Day of Action for Open Access on February 15, 2007, organized across the United States by Students for Free Culture and the Alliance for Taxpayer Access. In 2008, October 14 was designated Open Access Day, and the event became global. In 2009, the event was expanded to a week, from October 19–23. In 2010, it took place from October 18–24. From 2011 onwards, it is taking place at the last full week of October each year. In 2013, the week was 21–27 October.
In early years, organisations celebrating Open Access Week set their own themes. Since 2012, an 'official' theme was established and received special attention at the corresponding kick-off events held at the World Bank.
- In 2015, the theme is "Open for Collaboration."
- In 2014, the theme was "Generation Open."
- In 2013, the theme was "redefining impact."
- In 2012, the theme was "set the default to open access."
Details of Open Access Week events are recorded in the "Open Access Week" section of the Open Access Directory, organized by country and institution. They are also listed on the Open Access Week website, where over 140 events are listed for Open Access Week 2013.
- "Royal Society journal archive made permanently free to access". The Royal Society. 26 October 2011. Retrieved 25 September 2013. (WebCite)
- The Future of Data: Open Access and Reproducibility (WebCite)
- Announcing the National Day of Action for Open Access: Feb. 15 (WebCite)
- First Open Access Day to be held October 14, 2008 (WebCite).
- "Open Access Week declared for 2009". SPARC. 5 March 2009. Retrieved 25 September 2013. (WebCite)
- Open Access Week 2010 declared for October 18 to 24 (Webcite).
- "Open Access Week 2011 Dates announced". Open Access Week. 17 December 2010. Retrieved 25 September 2013. (WebCite)
- "Open Access Week 2013". EIFL. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "Theme of 2015 Open Access Week to be "Open for Collaboration"". March 4, 2015.
- "SPARC and the World Bank to co-host kickoff event for 2014 International Open Access Week". International Open Access Week. July 15, 2014.
- "Redefining Impact Through Open Access". World Bank. October 18, 2013.
- "Open Access Week 2012". Electronic Information for Libraries (EIFL). October 23, 2013.
- Events celebrating Open Access Week (Permalink; WebCite).
- "Upcoming events". Open Access Week. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Open Access Week.|