Open Environment Corporation
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Industry||Technology, Outsourcing Services, Business Consulting|
|Headquarters||Cambridge, MA, USA|
Open Environment Corporation (OEC) was founded by John J. Donovan in 1992 in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. OEC develops, markets and supports software that enables companies to create applications for distributed, client/server computing systems. OEC pioneered a three-tiered software architecture that allows customer to rapidly develop, deploy and manage software applications to access critical information quickly on an enterprise-wide basis.
OEC was bought out by Borland in 1996.
In 1992, Open Environment Corporation was founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts (USA) by John J. Donovan, former chairman, pioneering three-tiered architecture. It was initially founded as a division of Cambridge Technology Group, and then spun-out in 1993.
On August 31, 1995 OEC bought Jarrah Technologies Pty. Limited in a stock-swap.
OEC Toolkit is a set of client/server application development software. OEC sold and marketed this product jointly with IBM. The product, which eventually would become known as Entera, was the first middleware product sold as a best-of-breed application server platform and pioneered the three-tiered client/server development model.
- The business of software: what every manager, programmer, and entrepreneur ..., by Michael A. Cusumano
- A 1-2-3 approach to client/server apps, Network World, August 01, 1992
- Toolkit guards client/server security,Info World , September 23, 1993
- Open Environment Corporation Announces Product Name Change,All Business,March 21, 1995
- BORLAND TO ACQUIRE OPEN ENVIRONMENT CORPORATION; Together to Offer Multi-Tier, Scalable Client/Server and Intranet Solutions., BUSINESS WIRE, May 13, 1996
- Open Environment Corporation Annual Report 1995
- Open Environment Corporation files initial public offering of 2,750,000 shares of common stock.,Business Wire, April 13, 1995
- FITZGERALD COMMUNICATIONS PARTNERS WITH OPEN ENVIRONMENT CORPORATION AND VISIX SOFTWARE, PRNewswire, May 20, 1996
- Borland to Acquire Open Environment Corporation Business Wire, May 13, 1996
- Client/Server Applications, Network World, Volume 10, Number 39