Open Icecat is an Open Content project under the Open Content License in which a worldwide open catalogue is created for multilingual Product information management. Editors are participating manufacturers. The users of the product content are distributors, resellers, retailers, comparison websites or online shopping directories, the manufacturers themselves, and their enterprise resource planning systems, Product information management systems, or other systems.
In Open Icecat, a separate Open Catalog Interface is defined for the exchange of data between multilingual, multimedia product catalogs.
Open Icecat is as an open product catalog, not to be confused with commercial catalogs like offered by Icecat Inc (Full Icecat), Gfk/Etilize and Cnet.
The project started in 2001. But Open Icecat was formally launched in December 2005 with 20 participating IT manufacturers. Among the earliest contributors are Hewlett-Packard, Toshiba, IBM and Lenovo. As of March 2007, this number has grown to more than 90 manufacturers, including participants from consumer electronics like Sony, Philips and Kodak, and the telecom industry.
Open Catalog Interface
Over time, a number of standard catalog data exchange interfaces have been developed.
IceCART is a freeware plugin to connect Zencart to Icecat. With this tool you can easily associate the Icecat description to your Zencart products in the shop.
Wicecat is a plugin that connects Prestashop with Icecat, it can be adapted to any shopping cart to update the technical information directly from Icecat.
With the Open ICEcat Node.js package  you can read the worldwide product information data from Icecat within your Node.js project.
A number of integrations are also made by proprietary ASP solution providers.
See the overview of all add-ons and integrations is updated 
- GTIN, including former European Article Number and Universal Product Code
- HTML for the ASP/URL variant of the catalogue
- ISO 639-1 language codes
- ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country codes
- UNSPSC for categorization
- XML, including an open catalogue DTD and XSD
- Atom (standard)
- "Manual: Download Individual Product XML". Iceclog.com. Icecat. Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "Manual for Open Icecat JSON requests". Iceclog. Icecat. Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "Manual for CSV Interface". Iceclog. Icecat. Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "osCommerce Community Add-Ons". Oscommerce.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Icecat Integrations with Magento, PrestaShop, WooCommerce, OpenCart, Zen Cart".
-  Archived November 9, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- "Wicecat". Wasato.net. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Icecat Node.js API". GreenCore.
- "Icecat Add-ons". Iceclog.com.