Open Networking Foundation
|Formation||March 21, 2011|
|Purpose||Open Source networking software and Software Defined Standards|
The Open Networking Foundation (ONF) is a nonprofit trade organization, funded by companies such as Deutsche Telekom, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Verizon, and Yahoo! aimed at promoting networking through software-defined networking (SDN) and standardizing the OpenFlow protocol and related technologies. The standards-setting and SDN-promotion group was formed out of recognition that cloud computing will blur the distinctions between computers and networks. The initiative was meant to speed innovation through simple software changes in telecommunications networks, wireless networks, data centers and other networking areas.
By December 31, 2013, the organization had 123 member companies. By June 2014 ONF had grown to over 150 member companies including 24 start-up companies in software defined networking.  Member companies include networking-equipment vendors, semiconductor companies, computer companies, software companies, telecom service providers, hyperscale data-center operators, and enterprise users.
Google's adoption of OpenFlow software was discussed by Urs Hölzle at a trade show promoting OpenFlow in April, 2012. Hölzle is the chairman ONF's board of directors, serving on the board along with representatives of the other five founding board members plus NTT Communications and Goldman Sachs. Stanford University professor Nick McKeown and U.C. Berkeley professor Scott Shenker also serve on the board as founding directors representing themselves.
- ONF overview, ONF webpage. Retrieved 2014-01-13.
- "Open Networking Foundation Formed to Speed Network Innovation". Press release. Open Networking Foundation. March 21, 2011. Retrieved October 30, 2016.
- John Markoff (March 22, 2011). "Open Networking Foundation Pursues New Standards". New York Times. Retrieved October 30, 2016.
- ComputerWorld: “Google and other titans form Open Networking Foundation.” Noyes, March 23, 2011.
-  Eweek,"SDN Consortium Adds 24 Startups to Its Membership List", June 18, 2014. Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- Levy, Steven, "Going With the Flow: Google’s Secret Switch to the Next Wave of Networking", Wired, April 17, 2012. Retrieved 2017-09-12.
- "April 2012 Open Networking Summit". April 17, 2012. Archived from the original on January 24, 2013. Retrieved October 30, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Open Networking Foundation and ON.Lab to Merge to Accelerate Adoption of SDN - Open Networking Foundation". www.opennetworking.org. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "Open Networking Foundation Unveils New Open Innovation Pipeline to Transform Open Networking". Press release. Linux Foundation. February 14, 2017. Retrieved September 4, 2017.