|Public (NASDAQ: OTEX; TSX: OTC)|
|Founder||Tim Bray, Gaston Gonnet, Frank Tompa|
|Headquarters||Waterloo, Ontario, Canada|
|Mark Barrenechea, CEO
Tom Jenkins, Chairman
|Products||Enterprise content management (ECM), business process management (BPM), customer experience management (CEM), information exchange, and analytics software|
|Revenue||US$ $1,624 million (FY 2014)|
Number of employees
OpenText software applications manage content or unstructured data for large companies, government agencies, and professional service firms. OpenText aims its products at addressing information management requirements, including management of large volumes of content, compliance with regulatory requirements, and mobile and online experience management.
OpenText employs 8,500 people worldwide and is a publicly traded company, listed on the NASDAQ (OTEX) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (OTC).
OpenText was founded in 1991 as a small four-person consulting operation. The company spun off from a University of Waterloo project that developed technology to index the Oxford English Dictionary. Early participants in the project included two computer science professors, Dr. Frank Tompa and Dr. Gaston Gonnet, an undergrad Computer Science co-op student, Michael Knowles, and their Faculty of Arts colleague, John Stubbs.
Key people involved later include Tom Jenkins (P Thomas Jenkins, known as Tom), who joined the company as COO in 1994 and Tim Bray. Tom Jenkins later became President and Chief Executive Officer, and has been Executive Chairman since 2013. John Shackleton served as President from 1998–2011, and as CEO from 2005 - 2011. Mark Barrenechea has been President and CEO of OpenText since 2012.
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (September 2015)|
The growth of OpenText has largely been through acquisitions:
- MESSAGEmanager Solutions
- Nstein technologies
- StreamServe Inc
- Vizible Corporation
- Vignette Corporation
- eMotion LLC
- Spicer Corporation
- Microstar Software
- PS Software Solutions
- Information Dimensions
- Lava Systems
- thinktank technologies
- "Open Text 2014 Annual report"
- "Top 25 Canadian Software Companies"
- Nick Waddell. "Cantech Letter interviews John Shackleton of OpenText". Cantech Letter.
- "Ontario Liberals give $120M grant to Canada's largest software company". CTV News Canada.
- "Recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers 2016". Mediacorp Canada Inc.
- Nick Bontis, ed. (2011). World Congress on Intellectual Capital Readings. Routledge. p. 7.
- "Grand opening for UW Stratford Campus". Kitchener.
- "Cory Doctorow; USC Center on Public Diplomacy". Uscpublicdiplomacy.com. 1971-07-17. Retrieved 2010-11-16.
- Rao, Madanmohan (2003). Leading with Knowledge: Knowledge Management Practices in Global Infotech Companies. McGraw Hill. p. 365. ISBN 0070499608.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to OpenText.|