Open Your Eyes (Alter Bridge song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Open Your Eyes"|
|Single by Alter Bridge|
|from the album One Day Remains|
|Released||June 11, 2004|
|Genre||Hard rock, post-grunge|
|Length||4:31 (radio edit)
4:58 (album version)
|Writer(s)||Mark Tremonti, Myles Kennedy, Brian Marshall, and Scott Phillips|
|Alter Bridge singles chronology|
"Open Your Eyes" is a song by the hard rock band Alter Bridge. The song, which is one of the band's biggest hits to date, was released as the first single off their debut album One Day Remains and peaked at No. 2 on the US Mainstream Rock Tracks chart in 2004, the band's highest charting single on that chart until "Isolation" reached No. 1 in 2011. The song, "Save Me", which appears on the soundtrack for Elektra, is also on the "Open Your Eyes" single as a b-side. Like many songs on the album, "Open Your Eyes" is about regrets and is one of the six songs on the record co-written by singer Myles Kennedy. The chorus seems to be encouraging peace. Lead guitarist Mark Tremonti originally wanted "Down to My Last" to be the first single, but the record company rejected it, saying it sounded too much like Creed, the then-former band of Tremonti, bassist Brian Marshall, and drummer Scott Phillips. "Open Your Eyes" was chosen instead.
During live performances, the band usually plays "Open Your Eyes" either as the last song before the encore or as part of the encore as the penultimate song before closer "Rise Today." The midsection of the song is often extended in concert and typically involves the crowd joining Kennedy in singing.
- "Open Your Eyes (Radio Edit)" - 4:31 (Mark Tremonti/Myles Kennedy)
- "Open Your Eyes (Album Version)" - 4:58 (Tremonti/Kennedy)
- "Save Me" - 3:27 (Mark Tremonti)
- "Open Your Eyes (Music Video)"
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 (Billboard)[not in citation given]||23|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||2|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||24|
- An edited version of the song is featured in the videogame Madden NFL 2005.
- After the Boston Red Sox won the World Series in 2004, a live video of Alter Bridge performing "Open Your Eyes" with then-Red Sox players Johnny Damon, Kevin Millar, and Bronson Arroyo surfaced on the internet and was later posted temporarily on the band's website after they left Wind-Up Records.
- The band performed the song at the 2005 MLB All-Star Game in Detroit with Damon and Mike Piazza onstage.
- "Australian-charts.com – Alter Bridge – Open Your Eyes". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Billboard charts". allmusic. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- "Alter Bridge – Chart history" Billboard Alternative Songs for Alter Bridge.
- "Madden NFL 2005: Soundtrack Revealed - Xbox". News.teamxbox.com. 2004-07-01. Retrieved 2012-08-17.