OpenShot main window
|Developer(s)||OpenShot Studios, LLC|
|Initial release||August 2008|
|Written in||Python, C++ (libopenshot library)|
|Operating system||FreeBSD, Linux, macOS, Windows|
|Type||Video editing software|
|License||GNU General Public License, version 3 or later|
OpenShot Video Editor is a free and open-source video editor for FreeBSD, Linux, macOS, and Windows. The project was started in August 2008 by Jonathan Thomas, with the objective of providing a stable, free, and friendly to use video editor.
Video formats and codecs supported
OpenShot supports commonly used codecs that are supported by FFmpeg, including WebM (VP9), AVCHD (libx264), HEVC (libx265), and audio codecs such as mp3 (libmp3lame) and aac (libfaac). The program can render MPEG4, ogv, Blu-ray, and DVD video, and Full HD videos for uploading to Internet video web sites.
Developers (possibly Olivier Girard)[who?] responded[when?] by saying that the instability of OpenShot mostly was from the instability of external libraries on which it has relied, in particular the MLT library and GTK Timeline.
The OpenShot 2 series uses its own library for video processing, removing the requirement for the unstable libraries. Developers[who?] stated[when?] that this makes the newly released version of the software more stable.
On March 31, 2017, a review by Bryan Lunduke on Network World lauded Openshot 2.3 for "its new transformation tool and title editor—as well as its smooth performance". Lunduke also positively mentioned the Linux distribution-agnostic packaging under usage of AppImage.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to OpenShot.|
- Nestor, Marius (1 October 2015). "OpenShot 2.0 Video Editor to Be Released Soon for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows 10". softpedia.
- "OpenShot Video Editor | Download". OpenShot Studios. Retrieved 23 September 2018.
- "OpenShot 2.4.3 Released | Animated Masks, Nudge, Zoom Fixes, Improved Stability, and More!". 22 September 2018. Retrieved 23 September 2018.
- "OpenShot Video Editor | Simple, powerful, and free video editor for Linux!". Openshot.org. 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- Stahie, Silviu (1 June 2015). "OpenShot Video Editor to Get a Ten-Fold Increase in Performance Speed". softpedia.
- "Free OpenShot Video Editor is Tremendous". PCWorld. 17 June 2011.
- "OpenShop video editor big in 2014". opensource.com.
- Dale, Brady. "These Free Video Editors Can Match the Pricey Ones' Features". Observer.
- Schroder, Carla. "How To Make Movies in Linux With OpenShot - Linux.com". Linux.com - The source for Linux Information.
- "Olivier Girard - Google+". Retrieved August 27, 2018.
97 followers - OpenShot Developper[sic]
- Lunduke, Bryan (2017-03-31). "Linux video editor OpenShot 2.3 impresses: New tools, fast performance". Network World. Retrieved 2017-04-02.
Interestingly, OpenShot is distributed via appimage. That means they provide a single binary that can be run on just about any modern Linux distribution. I personally tested this out on openSUSE Tumbleweed with great success—but it should run just as easily on Debian, Fedora or others. I love this approach to distributing software directly from the developers.