Opera America, styled OPERA America, is a New York-based service organization promoting the creation, presentation, and enjoyment of opera in the United States. Almost all professional opera companies and some semi-professional companies in the United States are members of the organization including such opera companies as the Metropolitan Opera, San Francisco Opera, Lyric Opera of Chicago, and Dallas Opera. Opera America also includes opera companies from Canada.
The organization was founded in 1970 and has been led by President and CEO Marc A. Scorca since 1990.
National Opera Center
The National Opera Centre at 330 Seventh Avenue, Chelsea, Manhattan, has two performance venues: the Marc A. Scorca Hall and the Plácido Domingo Hall. It also provides private studios and a rehearsal hall. The National Opera Center has been the venue of performances by artists of companies such as Wolf Trap Opera. In 2018, the Christman Opera Company performed Theodore Christman's operas Adriana McMannes and A Metamorphosis in Plácido Domingo Hall.[relevant?] The Opera Center has been the venue of premieres and workshops of works by composers such as Clint Borzoni and Bruce Wolosoff.
- Deutscher Bühnenverein, equivalent national organization in Germany
- Réunion des Opéras de France, French national association
- Opera Europa, sister organization covering Europe
- Membership directory, Opera America
- "President/CEO Marc A. Scorca to Lead OPERA America Through 2026", press release, 5 January 2016, Opera America
- Kragen, Pam (April 18, 2014). "S.D. Opera closure postponed to May 19; Newly reconstituted board will use time to raise money for 2015 season". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved 18 April 2014.[dead link]
- "Opera America Announces the Dedication of Marc A. Scorca Hall", press release, Opera America, 5 March 2015
- "Opera America Board of Directors – Fall 2018 Board Meeting", October 31 – November 2, 2018
- "About the National Opera Center", Opera America
- "Christman Opera Company 2018 Review: Adriana McMannes & A Metamorphosis" by Logan Martell, OperaWire, 18 October 2018