Opol, Misamis Oriental
Map of Misamis Oriental with Opol highlighted
|Region||Northern Mindanao (Region X)|
|District||2nd district of Misamis Oriental|
|Founded||June 15, 1950|
|• Mayor||Maximino B. Seno|
|• Total||175.13 km2 (67.62 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||350/km2 (910/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)88|
|Income class||2nd municipal income class|
|Electorate||31,152 voters as of 2016|
The municipality is gradually becoming more urbanized, as a result of local population growth and the expansion of nearby Cagayan de Oro City. Historically, Opol was a more rural area focused on agriculture and fishing. The subdivision of rural land for new residential housing is a matter of some controversy amongst locals. The current Mayor, Dexter Q. Yasay (younger brother of the previous mayor), has held office in Opol since 2010.
- Luyong bonbon
|Population census of Opol|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
Key economic activities in Opol include commercial fishing, farming, tourism/hospitality, and light industry. Notable economic infrastructure includes the San Miguel/Coca Cola bottling plant, Lechem Food Marketing, and fishing port at Luyong-Bonbon as well as the municipal market building, located adjacent to the Opol municipal centre.
The Cagayan de Oro - Iligan highway passes through Opol, alongside the coast. The highway is a key inter-regional transport route and comprises an integral part of the Cagayan de Oro - Iligan Corridor Special Development Project. This is a major infrastructure development initiative which is likely to result in significant economic growth for Opol, Misamis Oriental and the adjoining province of Lanao del Norte in coming years.
- Philippine Ostrich & Crocodile Farm is the first combined ostrich and crocodile farm in the Philippines. The farm is home to several hundred ostrich and several dozen crocodiles, with both species being cultivated for leather and meat. The farm is open to the public for supervised tours.
- Apple Tree Beach Resort (formerly called Lauremar Beach Resort, after being under new management) is a popular tourist resort located on the main beach in central Opol.
- Opol Aviary and Mini Zoo features a wide variety of native birds and animals (Closed as of 2014).
- San Pedro Beach Resort is the first beach resort in Misamis Oriental. With big halls and cottages that could cater to seminars, weddings and other large gatherings. It also has medium to small size open air cottages for cozy and more private family or friends gathering. It also has affordable air-conditioned rooms with own bathroom and TV.
- D. Yasay Beach Resort is an affordable party place for family/barkada gimik and company events. With clean open air cottages, social hall and air-conditioned rooms to choose from, guests are sure to find one that is just right for their budget.
- Seven Seas Waterpark and Resort is an upcoming resort about to be finished building near Barra. It provides resort entertainment such as long and big slides, pirate ships, and more.
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Province: MISAMIS ORIENTAL". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Region X (Northern Mindanao)". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "An act creating the municipality of Opol, province of Misamis Oriental". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-09.
- "Region X (Northern Mindanao)". Census of Population and Housing (2010): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Region X (Northern Mindanao)". Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007): Total Population by Province, City and Municipality (Report). NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- Official Municipality of Opol website
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Places to visit when you are in Opol, Misamis Oriental
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|El Salvador||Cagayan de Oro|