Optical Waves in Layered Media
Optical Waves in Layered Media is written as a textbook by Pochi Yeh for current optics courses in electrical engineering or applied physics. The book focuses on physics theory more than practical application. It is clearly written and includes comprehensive mathematical theoretical representations of the topics covered. General topical coverage is divided into five parts beginning with electromagnetic theory. It then covers isotropic layered thin films, anisotropic and inhomogeneous media including crystals and birefringence, and guided waves using layered media. Currently, with more than 2,750 citations, this book is highly cited. The book was first published by John Wiley & Sons in 1988 and has been reprinted several times, with the last reprint in 2005.
In 1971 Pochi Yeh received his PhD in physics from the California Institute of Technology. He then obtained a position at Rockwell International Science Center in Thousand Oaks, California. In 1989 he became a member of the faculty at UC Santa Barbara. He is also the author and co-author of three other published books in the Optics discipline.
- Book review Thompson, R.C. (1990). "Optical Waves in Layered Media". Journal of Modern Optics. 37: 147. Bibcode:1990JMOp...37..147T. doi:10.1080/09500349014550171.
- Book review Yeh, Pochi; Hendry, Michael (1990). "Optical Waves in Layered Media". Physics Today. 43: 77. Bibcode:1990PhT....43a..77Y. doi:10.1063/1.2810419.
- "Honored Faculty - Honored Books Program 2010" (web page). UC Santa Cruz Science and Engineering Library. 2010.
- Optical waves in layered media "Citation rate" (web page). Google Scholar. August 8, 2013.
- "Professor Pochi Yeh" (web page). Faculty biographies. University of California Santa Barbara. 2013. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- "Author information" (web page). John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2013.