Optimization Systems Associates
Optimization Systems Associates (OSA) was founded by John Bandler in 1983. OSA produced the first commercial implementation of space mapping optimization to enhance the speed and accuracy of engineering design. OSA’s primary thrust was in computer-aided design (CAD) and simulation and optimization of radio-frequency and microwave circuits and systems. Its products included developments of Bandler's space mapping concept and methodology, which facilitates effective modeling and design optimization of computationally intensive engineering systems.
Bandler founded OSA in 1983 to commercialize optimization methodology and algorithms which he and his colleagues had developed. OSA's first major project was the reengineering of key software for simulation and optimization of waveguide multiplexers for satellite communications under contract to COM DEV International.
In the 1980s OSA contributed optimization methodology and algorithms to EEsof’s early microwave CAD software Touchstone and Libra, and then reengineered Compact Software’s principal software products SuperCompact and Microwave Harmonica.
OSA implemented a yield-driven CAD and optimization capability for Raytheon Research Division in 1985. This was followed by CAD contributions for the Raytheon/Texas Instruments Joint Venture within the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) MIMIC Program.
Other users of OSA's technology included Siemens, Hughes Aircraft, TRW, Raytheon, Texas Instruments and British Telecom.
OSA introduced the software product RoMPE in 1988. Subsequent software products included HarPE, which was introduced in 1989, OSA90 and OSA90/hope in 1991, Empipe in 1992, Empipe3D and EmpipeExpress 1996. OSA created empath in 1996, which was marketed by Sonnet Software, Inc.
OSA's new Geometry Capture technique allowed it to link its software directly to the premier electromagnetic simulators marketed by HP (now Keysight), Ansoft (now Ansys) and Sonnet Software. The Empipe family became the framework for HFSS Designer and Momentum Optimization after HP acquired OSA.
- R. Biernacki, S. Chen, G. Estep, J. Rousset and J. Sifri, “Statistical analysis and yield optimization in practical RF and microwave designs,” International Microwave Symposium, Montreal, QC, Canada, pp. 1-3, June 2012.
- Wireless Design Online. “HP Acquires OSA, Expands CAE Software Portfolio,” wirelessdesignonline.com. [Online]. [Accessed: Feb. 27, 2017].
- “Departmental newsbriefs,” The MacEngineer Magazine, p. 17, Fall 2003.
- IEEE Canada Newsletter . “John Bandler inducted Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering,” www.news.ieee.ca. [Online]. [Accessed: Feb. 27, 2017].
- “Application Award John W. Bandler,” IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 110-112, June 2004.
- E. D. Cohen, "The MIMIC Program—A Retrospective," IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 77-88, May 2012.
- V.V. Yakovlev, “Comparative analysis of contemporary electromagnetic software for microwave power industry,” Ceramic Transactions, vol. 111, pp. 551-558, 2001.
- The Canadian Academy of Engineering . “List of Fellows/John W. Bandler” www.cae-acg.ca. [Online]. [Accessed: Feb. 27, 2017]
- J. W. Bandler, R. M. Biernacki, S. H. Chen, LW. Hendrick and D. Omeragic, "Electromagnetic optimization of 3-D structures," IEEE transactions on microwave theory and techniques, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 770-779, May 1997.
- "Celebrating 50 years of microwave," International Microwave Symposium, June 2002.
- A. Konczykowska and W. M. Zuberek, "Symbolic methods in semiconductor parameter extraction," Wiley-IEEE Press, pp. 290-310, 1998. [E-book]. [Accessed: Feb. 27, 2017].
- W. Y. Jiang, "Device modeling," GaAs MMIC reliability assurance guideline for space applications, pp. 109-122, 1996.
- J. W. Bandler, R. M. Biernacki, S. H. Chen and P. A. Grobelny, "Optimization technology for nonlinear microwave circuits integrating electromagnetic simulations," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 6-28, 1997.
- J. W. Bandler, R. M. Biernacki, Q. Cai, S. H. Chen and P. A. Grobelny, "Integrated harmonic balance and electromagnetic optimization with geometry capture," International Microwave Symposium, vol. 2, pp. 793-796, May 1995.
- D. G. Swanson "Optimizing a microstrip bandpass filter using electromagnetics," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer‐Aided Engineering, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 344-351, Sep. 1995.
- Q. J. Zhang and M. Nakhla, "Yield analysis and optimization of VLSI interconnects in multichip modules," Proceedings of IEEE Multi-Chip Module Conference (MCMC-93), 1993, pp. 160-163.
- Q. J. Zhang and M. Nakhla, "Signal integrity analysis and optimization of VLSI interconnects using neural network models," Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS-94), May 1994, vol. 1, pp. 459-462
- D. R. Conn and R. N. Hemmers, "Increased efficiency in QAM power amplifiers," International Microwave Symposium, vol. 3, pp. 1647-1650, June 1998
- L. W. Hendrick, K. Raghavan and C. N. Schwartz "Microwave waveguide multiplexer," U.S. Patent 5428322 A, Jun 27, 1995.
- S. Ye and R. R. Mansour, "Design of manifold-coupled multiplexers using superconductive lumped element filters," International Microwave Symposium, vol. 1, pp. 191-194, May 1994
- A. H. Zaabab, Q. J. Zhang and M. Nakhla, "Analysis and optimization of microwave circuits and devices using neural network models," International Microwave Symposium, vol. 1, pp. 393-396, May 1994
- F. Bashore, "1996 MTT-S IMS:the biggest and best ever," International Microwave Symposium, pp. 80-86, Aug. 1996.
- A. P. Pavacic, "Design of an advanced millimetre-wave active array architecture for future generation multimedia satellite payloads: Bulk silicon micromachining approach," Master of Applied Science dissertation, Dept. Elect. & Com. Eng., Univ. of Toronto, 2001.