|Founded||April 9, 1986|
|Jan Boomaars (CEO)|
|Revenue||€2.3 billion (2021)|
|€1.2 billion (2021)|
|€958 million (2021)|
|Total assets||€28.2 billion (2021)|
|Total equity||€2.8 billion (2021)|
Number of employees
Optiver is a proprietary trading firm and market maker for various exchange-listed financial instruments. Its name derives from the Dutch optieverhandelaar, or "option trader". The company is privately owned. Optiver trades listed derivatives, cash equities, exchange-traded funds, bonds, and foreign exchange.
Optiver was founded by Johann Kaemingk on April 9, 1986, as a market maker in options on the European Options Exchange (EOE), which is now Euronext. Optiver is a member of the European Principal Traders Association (FIA EPTA), FIA Principal Trading Group (PTG) in the US and FIA Japan.
In June 2019, Optiver joined its US-based rival, Virtu, in funding Equiduct, a competitor to national stock exchanges and trading venues.
In April 2021, Optiver expanded further into the Asia-Pacific region with an office in Singapore, with a planned focus on commodity and equity products. It joined many other major financial services firms in doing so. The firm first made its presence in the region in Australia in 1996, then Taipei in 2005, then Hong Kong in 2007, and then Shanghai in 2012.
In June 2022, Optiver joined Acquis Exchange.
- "Optiver Annual Review 2021" (PDF). Optiver.
- Detrixhe, John (18 September 2015). "Optiver Hires Former Goldman Partner Boomaars as Europe CEO" – via www.bloomberg.com.
- Detrixhe, John; de Jong, David; David, Ruth (18 June 2015). "HFT Powerhouse Amsterdam Glimpsed Through Speed-Trader IPO" – via www.bloomberg.com.
- "Optiver – About Us".
- "FIA EPTA Members".
- Lewis, Brian (11 November 2016). "Traders Plan Supercharged Chicago-to-Tokyo Network" – via www.bloomberg.com.
- "Optiver & Equiduct offer best execution for equities and ETFs". Automated Trader Ltd. 20 December 2017 – via www.automatedtrader.net.
- Agini, Samuel. "High-speed traders Optiver and Virtu back EU trading venue". www.fnlondon.com. Retrieved 2022-09-02.
- "Optiver expands into Asia Pacific with Singapore office - The TRADE". www.thetradenews.com. Retrieved 2022-09-02.
- "Optiver, Utrecht University partner on finance course".
- "Optiver joins Aquis Exchange - The TRADE". www.thetradenews.com. Retrieved 2022-09-02.
- "Optiver becomes latest trading member on the Vienna Stock Exchange - The TRADE". www.thetradenews.com. Retrieved 2022-09-02.