Oracle Cloud is a cloud computing service offered by Oracle Corporation providing servers, storage, network, applications and services through a global network of Oracle Corporation managed data centers. The company allows these services to be provisioned on demand over the Internet.
Oracle Cloud provides Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS), and Data as a Service (DaaS). These services are used to build, deploy, integrate, and extend applications in the cloud. This platform supports numerous open standards (SQL, HTML5, REST, etc.), open-source applications (Kubernetes, Hadoop, Kafka, etc.), and a variety of programming languages, databases, tools, and frameworks including Oracle-specific, Open Source, and third-party software and systems.
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
Oracle's cloud infrastructure was made generally available (GA) on October 20, 2016 under the name "Oracle Bare Metal Cloud Services"  Oracle Bare Metal Cloud Services was rebranded as Oracle Cloud Infrastructure in 2018 and dubbed Oracle's "Generation 2 Cloud" at Oracle OpenWorld 2018 Oracle Cloud Infrastructure offerings include the following services.
- Compute: The company provides Virtual Machine Instances to provide different shapes (VM sizes) catering to different types of workloads and performance characteristics. They also provide Bare metal servers and Bare metal GPU servers, without a hypervisor with capability to scale up and down.
- Storage: The platform provides Block Volumes, Object Storage, and Archive Storage with capability to enable database, analytics, content, and other applications across common protocols and APIs.
- Networking: This cloud platform provides network with fully configurable IP addresses, subnets, routing, and firewalls to support new or existing private networks with End-to-End Security.
- Governance: For Auditing, Identity and Access Management, the platform has capabilities for Data Integrity Checks, Traceability, and access management features.
- Database: The platform allows Oracle databases to be deployed on demand in cloud environment with Real Application Clusters, data security, and granular controls.
- Load Balancing: The cloud platform offers load balancing capability to automatically route traffic across Availability Domains for high availability and fault-tolerance for hosted applications.
- Edge Services: These services are used to monitor the path between users and resources to adapt to changes and outages using secure DNS infrastructure.
- FastConnect: The cloud platform provides private connectivity across on-premises and cloud networks.
Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Data Management: This cloud platform offers a data management platform for database workloads as well as hyper-scale Big Data and Streaming workloads including OLTP, Warehousing, Machine Learning, Text Search, Image Analytics and Deep-Learning. Services include Database, Database Backup, Big Data, Big Data Cloud, Event Hub, MySQL, NoSQL Database, Data Hub, Autonomous Data Warehouse Cloud, and Autonomous Transaction Processing.
- Application Development: For application development, the company’s cloud offers an open, standards-based application development platform to build, deploy, and manage API-first, mobile-first cloud applications. This platform supports container-native, cloud-native, and low code development. This platform also provides a DevOps platform for CI/CD, diagnostics for Java applications, and integration with SaaS and on-prem applications. Services include Java, Mobile, Digital Assistants (evolution from Chatbots), Messaging, Application Container Cloud, Developer Cloud, Visual Builder, API Catalog, AI Platform, DataScience.com (Oracle acquired) and Blockchain.
- Integration: This is a platform offering with adapters to integrate on-premise and cloud applications. Capabilities include data integration and replication, API management, integration analytics, along with data migration and integration. They offer services such as Data Integration Platform Cloud, Data Integrator Cloud Service, GoldenGate Cloud Service, Integration Cloud, Process Cloud Service, API Platform Cloud Service, Apiary Cloud Service, and SOA Cloud Service.
- Business Analytics: The Company provides this Business Analytics Platform which can analyze and generate insights from data across various applications, data warehouses, and data lakes. The services offered include Analytics Cloud, Business Intelligence, Big Data Discovery, Big Data Preparation, Data Visualization, and Essbase.
- Security: The Oracle Cloud Platform provides identity and security applications for providing secure access and monitoring of hybrid cloud environment and addressing IT governance and compliance requirements. This platform delivers an identity SOC (Security Operations Center) through a combined offering of SIEM, UEBA, CASB,l, and IDaaS. The services offered include Identity Cloud Service and CASB Cloud Service.
- Management: The platform provides an integrated monitoring, management, and analytics platform. This platform also uses machine learning and big data on the operational data set. The platform is used to improve IT stability, prevent application outages, improve DevOps, and harden security. Services offered include Application Performance Monitoring, Infrastructure Monitoring, Log Analytics, Orchestration, IT Analytics, Configuration and Compliance, Security Monitoring, and Analytics.
- Content and Experience: This is a platform for content, website, and workflow management. This service is used to provide content collaboration and web presence. This tool comes integrated with Oracle on-premise and SaaS services. The services offered are Content and Experience Cloud, WebCenter Portal Cloud, and DIVA Cloud.
On May 16, 2018 Oracle announced that it had acquired DataScience.com, a privately held cloud workspace platform for data science projects and workloads.
Software as a Service (SaaS)
Oracle provides SaaS applications also known as Oracle Cloud Applications. These applications are offered across a variety of products, industrial sectors with various deployment options to adhere to compliance standards. The below list mentions Oracle Cloud Applications provided by Oracle Corporation.
- Customer Experience (CX)
- Human Capital Management (HCM)
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- Supply Chain Management (SCM)
- Enterprise Performance Management (EPM)
- Internet of Things Applications (IoT)
- SaaS Analytics
- Industry Solutions (Communications, Financial Services, Consumer Goods, High Tech and Manufacturing, Higher Education, Hospitality, Utilities)
- Deployment (adhering to standards for sectors such as Financial Services, Retail Services, Public Sector, U.S. Department of Defense Community)
- Block-Chain Cloud Service (in partnership with SAP, IBM and Microsoft)
- Blockchain Applications
Data as a Service (DaaS)
This platform is known as the Oracle Data Cloud. This platform aggregates and analyzes consumer data powered by Oracle ID Graph across channels and devices to create cross-channel consumer understanding.[failed verification]
Oracle Cloud is available in 25 global regions as of September 2020, including North America, South America, UK, European Union, Middle East, India, Australia, Korea, and Japan. Oracle Cloud is available as a public cloud (Oracle-managed regions); to select government agencies as an Oracle-managed government cloud in the United States (with FedRAMP High and DISA SRG IL5 compliance) and United Kingdom; and as a "private cloud" or "hybrid cloud" as an Oracle-managed database-only service or full-service dedicated region - what Oracle calls "Cloud at Customer."
Oracle's public and government cloud is offered through a global network of Oracle-managed data centers, connected by an Oracle-managed backbone network. Oracle's Exadata Cloud at Customer leverages this network for control plane services. Oracle deploys their cloud in Regions, typically with two geographically distributed regions in each country for disaster resiliency with data sovereignty. Inside each Region are at least one fault-independent Availability Domain and three fault-tolerant Fault Domains per Availability Domain. Each Availability Domains contains an independent data center with power, thermal, and network isolation.
Oracle Cloud hosts customer-accessible cloud infrastructure and platform services, as well as end-user accessible software as a service from these cloud regions.
Oracle Developers is a forum responsible for engaging with the developer community that provides information, documentation, and discussion that is authored both by Oracle and by the community members at large.
Oracle offers certifications in Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and several specializations in Software as a Service.
Companies using Oracle Cloud
This section relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Aer Lingus
- Dow Chemical Company
- Freddie Mac
- FRHI Hotels
- Perry Ellis International
- Sinclair Broadcast Group
- Yamaha Corporation
- Yum! Brands
- Zoom Video Communications
- Safonov, Vladimir O. (2016-01-29). Trustworthy Cloud Computing. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9781119113515.
- Saygili, Okcan Yasin (2017-06-23). Oracle IaaS: Quick Reference Guide to Cloud Solutions. Apress. ISBN 9781484228326.
- Waters, John. "Oracle Launches 'Bare Metal Cloud' in Major IaaS Play". Redmond Channel Partner. Retrieved 2020-08-14.
- Mouratidis, Yiannis. "Oracle Strikes Back With Second Generation Cloud". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-10-31.
- "Oracle Cements Commitment to Next Generation of Enterprise Cloud". www.oracle.com. Retrieved 2018-10-31.
- "Infrastructure as a Service | Oracle Cloud". cloud.oracle.com. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Platform as a Service | Oracle Cloud". cloud.oracle.com. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Oracle acquires machine learning platform Datascience.com". VentureBeat. 2018-05-16. Retrieved 2018-05-24.
- "Cloud Applications ( SaaS / DaaS ) | Oracle Cloud". cloud.oracle.com. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- Mearian, Lucas. "Oracle rolls out its own blockchain service". Computerworld. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Oracle Purchase of NetSuite Will Help It Vie With Cloud Rivals". Bloomberg.com. 2016-07-28. Retrieved 2018-05-24.
- "Data as a Service | Data Cloud | Oracle Cloud". cloud.oracle.com. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- Yasar, Erdem (6 August 2020). "Oracle Cloud expands to San Jose Region". Retrieved 13 September 2020.
- Tsidulko, Joe (8 July 2020). "Oracle Introduces 'Dedicated Regions' To On-Premises Cloud". CRN. Retrieved 13 September 2020.
- Leong, Lydia. "Finally, private cloud identical to public cloud". Gartner. Retrieved 13 September 2020.
- McKenna, Brian (9 July 2020). "Oracle fleshes out Cloud@Customer with public cloud services for use in customer datacentres". Retrieved 13 September 2020.
- "Regions and Availability Domains". Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Documentation. Retrieved 13 September 2020.
- Oracle Corporation. "Oracle Cloud Career Choices". education.oracle.com. Retrieved 2018-02-02.
- du Preez, Derek (12 May 2020). "8x8 moves video meeting solutions to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure as number of users soar during COVID-19 pandemic". Diginomica. Retrieved 13 September 2020.
- "Aer Lingus Revenue Per Email Flies 132% Higher Than Travel Industry Benchmark". www.oracle.com. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Avaya". Oracle Marketing Cloud. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "The Dow Chemical Company Powers Data-Driven Marketing Insight with Oracle Cloud". www.oracle.com. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Dropbox Wins Award for Real-Time Finance Collaboration". video.oracle.com. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Freddie Mac". Oracle Marketing Cloud. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "FRHI Hotels & Resorts". Oracle Marketing Cloud. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "JetBlue Airways". Oracle Marketing Cloud. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "HR Reinvented at Macy's". Quest Oracle Community. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Morningstar". Oracle Marketing Cloud. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- Condon, Stephanie (August 11, 2020). "Nissan to move high-performance computing workloads to Oracle Cloud". Retrieved 14 August 2020.
- Oracle. "Perry Ellis International, Inc. Implements Oracle Retail Cloud to Personalize Global Customer Experience". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Samsung France Breaks New Records with 70% Lead Conversion Rate". www.oracle.com. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Sinclair Broadcast Group's Move to Oracle Fusion Cloud". Quest Oracle Community. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Skanska on Integrating Oracle Procurement Cloud for Greater Efficiency". Quest Oracle Community. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "TriMark Integrates JD Edwards and Oracle Suite of Products for Success". Quest Oracle Community. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Paid Program: Yamaha Revs Up IT Bike". Oracle. 2018-06-21. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Yum! Brands and Elire Consulting Partner to Implement Oracle HCM Cloud". Quest Oracle Community. Retrieved 2018-10-30.