|County||Alachua, Marion, Putnam|
|⁃ location||Island Grove, Florida|
|Orange Ferry, Florida|
|Length||20 mi (32 km)|
|Basin size||600 sq mi (1,600 km2)|
Part of the Ocklawaha River drainage basin, Orange Creek rises at the southern end of Orange Lake in southeastern Alachua County, Florida. It flows generally eastwards for approximately 20 miles (32 km), forming the boundary between Marion and Putnam Counties, before draining into the Ocklawaha River near Orange Springs. The creek's outflow enters the Oklawaha near Orange Ferry, along the stretch of river where the Ocklawaha is impounded to form Rodman Reservoir, part of the abandoned Cross Florida Barge Canal; the creek was considered to be a significant source of water for the reservoir, providing a 20-year mean discharge of 188cfs as of 1973. The record flow at that time was 2,170 cfs. The creek is canoeable along its length, and is known for its fishing for bass and other gamefish.
A tributary, Little Orange Creek, joins from the north a few miles above the mouth of the creek. In the late 1800s several mills were located along Little Orange Creek.
A dispute between Alachua, Marion and Putnam Counties arose in the 1960s over where their county lines lay with regards to the course of the creek. A dam impounds Orange Lake at its exit into the creek; it was the source of controversy in the late 1980s with some calling for its removal.
- Ritchie, Bruce (August 3, 1996). "Water district may buy muck farm". Star-Banner. Ocala, FL. p. 3B. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- Faulkner 1973, p.24
- Faulkner 1973, p.54
- Chun, Diane (May 3, 1987). "Taking the waters once again at Orange Springs". The Gainesville Sun. Gainesville, FL. p. 10F. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- McLin 1904, p.543
- Moorhead, Jim (May 17, 1962). "Marion-Putnam Officials Agree To Orange Creek Partial Survey". Star-Banner. Ocala, FL. p. 1. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- "Creek Boundary Line To Be Set By Group". Star-Banner. Ocala, FL. April 23, 1969. p. 9B. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- "Panel to study Orange Creek dam". The Gainesville Sun. Gainesville, FL. December 13, 1989. p. 2B. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- "Editorial: Remove the dams". The Gainesville Sun. Gainesville, FL. November 24, 1990. p. 2G. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- Faulkner, Glen L., 1973. Geohydrology of the Cross-Florida Barge Canal Area with Special Reference to the Ocala Vicinity. Tallahassee, FL: U.S. Geological Survey Water Resources Investigations Report I-73. ISBN 978-1234202545.
- McLin, B.E., 1904. Florida: A Pamphlet Descriptive of Its History, Topography, Climate, Soil, Resources and Natural Advantages, In General and By Counties. Tallahassee, FL: Florida Department of Agriculture. ASIN B008TUWP38