Orange High School (Orange, California)
|Orange High School|
525 N. Shaffer St.
Orange, CA 92867
|Website||Orange High School|
Orange High School is a traditional four-year public high school located in the city of Orange, California. Orange High is part of the Orange Unified School District and competes in the Golden West League.
Orange High School opened on September 21, 1903 as Orange Union High School located at Palm Ave and Glassell St. Orange High was the county's fourth school. In its first year, it had an enrollment of 81 students. In 1953 the high school moved to the current site on Shaffer Street and Walnut St. The original high school site eventually became the campus for Chapman University. Orange High School is the oldest high school in the Orange Unified School District.
The school's athletic teams compete in the Golden West League. Orange High School's baseball field was selected by the Baseball Tomorrow Fund and Major League Baseball Groundskeepers organization to be renovated. One high school in the United States is selected each year for this renovation depending on its proximity to the annual meeting of the groundskeeper group. Grass from Angel Stadium of Anaheim was removed for a concert and replanted in the Orange High School field.
- Chuck Baker, professional baseball player
- Fred Kelly (1911), 1912 Olympic gold medalist in 110m high hurdles
- Micah Knorr, NFL punter
- Mary Decker (1976), distance runner, 2-time world champion
- Gaddi Vasquez, Peace Corps Director and US Ambassador
- Danny Califf, professional soccer player
- Dave Matranga, professional baseball player
- Pamela Courson, Jim Morrison's girlfriend
- Steve Johnson, professional tennis player, 2-time NCAA singles champion
- Lorrin "Whitey" Harrison (1913–1993), surfing pioneer
- "Orange High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- Shyong, Frank (May 14, 2011). "Orange High field to get MLB renovation". Orange County Register. p. Local 4.
- "Orange opts to go big, brings home first CIF football title since 1929". OC Register. December 2, 2017. Retrieved January 25, 2017.
- "Steve Johnson Bio". The Official Site of USC Trojan Athletics. Retrieved November 3, 2014.
- http://www.legendarysurfers.com/2011/04/lorrin-whitey-harrison-1913-1993.html\accessed 06-16-2015
|This Orange County, California school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|