Orange Township, Hancock County, Ohio
|Orange Township, Hancock County, Ohio|
School on State Route 103 east of Bluffton
Location of Orange Township in Hancock County
|• Total||36.3 sq mi (94.0 km2)|
|• Land||36.3 sq mi (93.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||869 ft (265 m)|
|• Density||35.6/sq mi (13.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086250|
Orange Township is one of the seventeen townships of Hancock County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,290 people in the township, 1,113 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Union Township - north
- Eagle Township - northeast corner
- Van Buren Township - east
- Washington Township, Hardin County - southeast corner
- Liberty Township, Hardin County - south
- Jackson Township, Allen County - southwest corner
- Richland Township, Allen County - west
Part of the village of Bluffton is located in northwestern Orange Township.
Name and history
Orange Township was organized in 1836.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Hancock County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- History of Hancock County, Ohio. Warner, Beers. 1886. p. 459.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.