Oras, Eastern Samar
|Municipality of Oras|
Map of Eastern Samar with Oras highlighted
|Region||Eastern Visayas (Region VIII)|
|Barangays||42 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Vivian Alvarez|
|• Electorate||22,451 voters (2016)|
|• Total||188.7 km2 (72.9 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||190/km2 (500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)55|
|Climate type||Tropical rainforest climate|
|Income class||4th municipal income class|
|Revenue (₱)||98,364,024.93 (2016)|
In 1948, Oras was created from the barrios of San Policarpo, Bahay, Alugan, Pangpang, Japonan, Tabo, Binogawan and Cajag-wayan, which used to belong to this town. The territory of the town was further reduced two years later, when Arteche was created from the barrios of San Ramon, Carapdapan, Beri, Tangbo, Catumsan, Bego, Concepcion, Casidman, Tawagan, and Tibalawon.
In 1952, the sitios of Trinidad, Tula, Pota, Palao, Sinalo-an, Tamse-on, Cagmalobago, and Maycorot, in the barrio of Agsam, were separated from said barrio and created into the barrio of Trinidad. In the same year, Sta. Monica was transferred to the town of San Policarpo.
- Balocawe (Poblacion)
- Butnga (Poblacion)
- Camanga (Poblacion)
- Paypayon (Poblacion)
- Riverside (Poblacion)
- San Eduardo
- Santa Monica
- Tawagan (Poblacion)
- Tiguib (Poblacion)
- Trinidad (Maycorot)
- San Roque (Poblacion)
|Population census of Oras|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
The population of Oras in the 2015 census was 36,540 people, with a density of 190 inhabitants per square kilometre or 490 inhabitants per square mile.
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Eastern Samar". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "An act creating the municipality of San Policarpo in the province of Samar". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- "An act creating the barrio of Arteche, province of Samar into a municipality". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-09.
- "An Act Creating the Barrio of Trinidad in the Municipality of Oras, Province of Samar". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-09.
- "An Act Transferring the Barrio of Sta. Monica (tubabao), Municipality of Oras to the Municipality of San Policarpo All in the Province of Samar". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-09.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of Eastern Samar". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.