Orbis Pictus, or Orbis Sensualium Pictus (Visible World in Pictures), is a textbook for children written by moravian-german educator John Amos Comenius and published in 1658. It was the first widely used children's textbook with pictures, published first in Latin and German and later republished in many European languages. The revolutionary book quickly spread around Europe and became the defining children's textbook for centuries.
The book is divided into chapters illustrated by copperplate prints, which are described in the accompanying text. In most editions, the text is given in both Latin and the child's native language. The book has 150 chapters and covers a wide range of subjects:
Originally published in Latin and German in 1658 in Nuremberg, the book soon spread to schools in Germany and other countries. The first English edition was published in 1659. The first quadrilingual edition (in Latin, German, Italian and French) was published in 1666. The first Czech translation was published in the 1685 quadrilingual edition (together with Latin, German and Hungarian), by the Breuer publishing house in Levoča. In the years 1670 to 1780, new editions were published in various languages, with upgraded both pictures and text content.
- Epstein, Connie C. (1991). The Art of Writing for Children. Archon Books. p. 2. ISBN 0-208-02297-X.
- Orbis Sensualium Pictus Lecture
- "Learning from Comenius - the pedagogical underpinnings of the Orbis Pictus".
- Neurath, Otto (1930). Gesellschaft und Wirtschaft. Vienna: Gesellschafts- und Wirtschaftsmuseum. p. 101.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Orbis pictus.|
- Online selections from Orbis Pictus in Latin
- Comenius, Johann Amos (1887). Bardeen, Charles William (ed.). Orbis Pictus (The Visible World in Pictures). Syracuse, New York: School Bulletin Publications. OCLC 166163.
- At Internet Archive, the first American from the twelfth London edition, 1810. https://archive.org/details/orbissensualiump00come/page/n5/mode/2up
- Comenius, Johann Amos; Charles Hoole (1777). Joh. Amos Comenii Orbis Sensualium Pictus: Hoc Est Omnium Principalium in Mundo Rerum, & in Vita Actionum, Pictura & Nomenclatura. London: S. Leacroft. OCLC 166163.
User Review - I was interested in this book after reading about Comenius on Wikipedia and being referred to Google Book Search as a source of this as an early children's textbook. A discouraging flaw in this book is that pages 8-15 are scanned out of order, and there are two copies of page 12 and no copy of page 8 in the resulting images. It would be good to have a direct way to report such trouble without having to go searching around the help pages.- translation by Charles Hoole, at Google Book Search
- Orbis sensualium pictus trilinguis. Latin, German and Hungarian, 1708
- Orbis sensualium pictus trilinguis. Leutschoviae : Typis Samuelis Brewer, Anno Salutis 1685. 484 s. - - available at ULB's Digital Library
- Orbis Pictus, in hungaricum et germanicum translatus. Po'sonban: Weber, 19. stor. 172 s. - available at ULB's Digital Library
- Orbis pictus von Amos Comenius. [Nürnberg]: [s.n.], 1770. 263 s. - available at ULB's Digital Library