This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traded as||ASX: OEC|
|Industry||orbital engine, technology licensing, propulsion systems.|
|Headquarters||Balcatta, Western Australia|
|MD and CEO - Todd Alder|
Chair - John Welborn
|Products||Orbital engine technology, propulsion systems for unmanned aerial vehicles|
Orbital Corporation Limited (ASX: OEC), formerly Orbital Engine Corporation Limited pioneered by Ralph Sarich, is an Australian company based in Balcatta, Western Australia, that aims to provide clean engine technologies and alternative fuel systems with reduced environmental impact from gas emissions and improved fuel economy.
Design, manufacturing, development and testing facilities have been established at the Balcatta facility. Orbital has developed infrastructure in engine design and modelling, numerical analysis, computational fluid dynamics, combustion and fuel system development, rapid-turn-around prototyping, and engine-management system software and hardware design.
Orbital Autogas Systems, a former subsidiary of Orbital Corporation, used to produce a retrofit LPG system applicable to a range of vehicles. Orbital Liquid LPG injection (LLi) is claimed to be the latest generation in automotive LPG fuel systems, promising substantial fuel savings, improved fuel consumption and reduced pollution. Injection of LPG into the engine as a liquid rather than a vapour is claimed to improve engine volumetric efficiency, producing more power from less fuel. Due to falling demand for automotive LPG conversions, and the resulting decline in profitability, the business was closed in December 2015. The assets and ongoing customer and supplier contracts were sold to Sprint Gas (Aust) Pty. Ltd. for approximately A$500,000
A technology named FlexDI purports to improve emissions and fuel consumption in internal combustion engines designed to accept any common fuel type. The invention is being promoted to marine, recreational and light commercial vehicle markets including autorickshaws.
- "Orbital commences supply of Liquid LPG systems to HSV" (Press release). Orbital Autogas Systems. 9 September 2010. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- "Orbital successfully exits LPG businesses" (PDF) (Press release). Orbital. 10 December 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-02. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- Banksia Environmental Foundation 2003 Award Winners & Finalists - Leadership in Sustainable Product Design
- Gomez, Kevin. Australian engineering company wins contract to supply new engine for pilotless military aircraft PACE today, 26 June 2012. Retrieved: 9 July 2012.
- Sydney Morning Herald, October 26, 2005. Orbital turns to its next big hope - rickshaws. By Matt O'Sullivan
- Powersports Business, December, 2004 Orbital expects improvement in 2005.
- Hoover's – Factsheet on Orbital Corporation Limited
- Scootering USA – December 10, 2007. Bajaj Provides Update on the Launch of the Direct Injection Autorickshaw