All Saints' Church, Orby
Orby shown within Lincolnshire
|OS grid reference|
|– London||115 mi (185 km) S|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
|UK Parliament||Louth and Horncastle|
Orby is a village and civil parish in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated approximately 9 miles (14 km) east from the town of Spilsby, and 5 miles (8 km) west from the seaside resort of Skegness. The civil parish includes the hamlet of Habertoft, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the north-west. Orby lies within the Lincolnshire coast marshes.
Orby is listed in the 1086 Domesday Book as "Heresbi", and in 1115 it was recorded as "Orreby". However, this unusual citation does not relate to any described settlement within the parish itself, but is used instead, as a reference point to help locate lands held by the Bishop of Durham in neighbouring Addlethorpe.
Orby County Primary School was originally built in 1837 as a National School. It was rebuilt in 1874 but closed only three years later. In 1878 it was reopened as the Orby Board School, after the formation of the Orby School Board that year. The School Boards were abolished in 1903, and the school underwent name changes before becoming Orby County Primary School in 1963. It closed on 22 July 1981.
- "Parish population 2011". Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- OS Explorer map: Skegness, Alford & Spilsby: (1:25 000): ISBN 0319238229
- "JCA No. 42 - Lincolnshire Coast and Marshes". Natural England. Naturalengland.org.uk. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Settlement of Orby". Lincs to the past. Lincstothepast.com (Lincolnshire Archives). Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Church of All Saints, Orby". British Listed Buildings. Britishlistedbuildings.co.uk. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Manor Farmhouse, Orby". British Listed Buildings. Britishlistedbuildings.co.uk. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Manor Farm Moated Site". Ancient Scheduled Monuments. Ancientmonuments.info. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- Historic England. "Orby (355269)". PastScape. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Orby County Primary School - SR/814". Lincs to the Past. Lincstothepast.com (Lincolnshire Archives). Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- Media related to Orby at Wikimedia Commons
- "All Saints' Church, Orby", Forwardinfaithlincs.org.uk. Retrieved 25 December 2011
- "Orby", Genuki.org.uk. Retrieved 25 December 2011