Orchard Beach State Park
|Orchard Beach State Park|
Stairs abd sky at Orchard Beach State Park
|Location||Lower Peninsula, Manistee County, Michigan USA|
|Nearest city||Manistee, Michigan|
|Area||201 acres (81 ha)|
|Elevation||650 feet (200 m) |
|Governing body||Michigan Department of Natural Resources|
Orchard Beach State Park
|Built||Civilian Conservation Corps|
|NRHP reference #||09001064|
|Added to NRHP||December 8, 2009|
Orchard Beach State Park is a public recreation area covering 201 acres (81 ha) on the shore of Lake Michigan in Manistee Township, Manistee County, Michigan. Situated on a bluff three miles north of the city of Manistee, the state park offers a beach, campground and hiking trails. The park was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 2009, being cited as "one of the most intact examples of a Michigan state park developed in the 1930s and 1940s under National Park Service guidelines.... retain[ing] the majority of its CCC-era buildings and physical layout."
The park was developed by the Manistee, Filer City and Eastlake Railway Company and opened in 1892. After the company stopped trolley service to the park, the site was purchased by the Manistee Board of Commerce and deeded to the state to become part of the Michigan state park system in 1921. The Civilian Conservation Corps was active in the park in the 1930s. Corps efforts included construction of several limestone structures including a pavilion, toilet, line house, and pump house.
Activities and amenities
The park offers swimming, fishing, three miles of hiking trails, picnicking facilities, and a 166-site campground.
- "Orchard Beach State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Orchard Beach State Park". Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- "Orchard Beach State Park". NP Gallery Digital Asset Management System. National Park Service. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- "Weekly Highlight: Orchard Beach State Park". National Park Service. Retrieved December 26, 2009.
- Paul E. Janostak (2009). "Orchard Beach State Park" (PDF). National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. National Park Service. Retrieved December 26, 2009. (26 pages, with map and 11 photos)
- Orchard Beach State Park Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- Orchard Beach State Park Map Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- Orchard Beach State Park Protected Planet
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Orchard Beach State Park.|