Facade of Orchard Central
|Address||181 Orchard Road|
|Opening date||2 July 2009|
|Developer||Far East Organization|
|Management||Orchard Central Private Limited|
|No. of stores and services||400 maximum|
|Total retail floor area||387,988 square feet (36,045.3 m2)|
|No. of floors||14|
Orchard Central is a shopping mall in Singapore located along the main shopping belt at Orchard Road. It was officially opened on 2 July 2009. It sits on the land previously occupied by an open air carpark and has a 160m frontage along Orchard Road. In December 2016, Forbes recognized Orchard Central as one of the top five shopping malls in Singapore.
Background and features
Orchard Central was designed by DP Architects. It is designed as Singapore's first vertical mall, and it consists of 12 floors above ground and 2 basement levels. Unlike traditional mall designs, a central atrium is omitted and It also features a "super escalator", which takes pedestrians on street level directly up to Level 4. The mall is served by a total of 52 escalators (including 6 super escalators) and 12 glass elevators.
The mall features a 140m shopping street discovery walk and a green roof which are both open 24 hours to public. Designed by Japanese design house Super Potato, the green roof features 3 large living walls and balcony rail on the 11th floor and 2 lower green walls on the 12th floor roof terrace. There is also a biological pond located on the 12th storey of the green roof.
Orchard Central has artworks that are permanent displayed in clustered located around the mall. The display is worth over SGD$9 million. Artworks featured in the display were curated by National Arts Council. The total development cost of the project is estimated to be more than SGD$650 million.
Artworks featured in this display were specially commissioned, and they were done by artists from countries like the US, Japan, Australia and Denmark.
- Collin Anderson (2012). Evolution of a Retail Streetscape: DP Architects on Orchard Road. Images Publishing. pp. 165–. ISBN 978-1-86470-462-4.
- "The 5 Best Shopping Malls In Singapore". Retrieved 2017-01-13.
- Ng Baoying (19 June 2009). "Orchard Central to woo shoppers by integrating with other malls". Channel NewsAsia.
- "GPW: Orchard Central Mall Greenwalls". Greenroofs. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- "2009 Winners". Skyrise Greenery. 2009. Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- "Orchard Central". Open Buildings. Retrieved 16 October 2014.