Orchard Lake Village, Michigan
|Orchard Lake Village
City of Orchard Lake
Location of Orchard Lake Village, Michigan
|• Mayor||Jackie Beach (2015)|
|• Mayor Pro-Tem||Bruce Mc Intrye(2015)|
|• Total||4.12 sq mi (10.67 km2)|
|• Land||2.44 sq mi (6.32 km2)|
|• Water||1.68 sq mi (4.35 km2)|
|• Estimate (2012)||2,412|
|• Density||973.4/sq mi (375.8/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||634090|
The city is mostly surrounded by West Bloomfield. It also shares a border with Keego Harbor, to the east. About 43 percent of the City of Orchard Lake Village is occupied by lakes and ponds. Orchard Lake Village is home to St. Mary's Preparatory and SS. Cyril and Methodius Seminary, in addition to the Orchard Lake Country Club and Pine Lake Country Club. It was also the home of the Michigan Military Academy, now Orchard Lake St. Mary's Preparatory and Orchard Lake Schools. Orchard Lake Village is consistently ranked as the most affluent town in Michigan with a median household income of $153,289.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.12 square miles (10.67 km2), of which 2.44 square miles (6.32 km2) is land and 1.68 square miles (4.35 km2) is water. Orchard Lake, Cass Lake, and Upper Straits Lake are all within or partially within the city limits. Terrain is rolling and high. Orchard Lake Village surrounds Orchard Lake, the third-largest lake in Oakland County (after Cass Lake, which is also partially in Orchard Lake Village, and Kent Lake). The city is surrounded by West Bloomfield Township, except for the northeast which abuts Keego Harbor.
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,375 people, 802 households, and 665 families residing in the city. The population density was 973.4 inhabitants per square mile (375.8/km2). There were 869 housing units at an average density of 356.1 per square mile (137.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 83.9% White, 6.4% African American, 7.4% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 2.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.1% of the population.
There were 802 households of which 33.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 75.7% were married couples living together, 4.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 17.1% were non-families. 14.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.78 and the average family size was 3.08.
The median age in the city was 46.9 years. 23.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 16.1% were from 25 to 44; 35.7% were from 45 to 64; and 17.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 53.6% male and 46.4% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,215 people, 750 households, and 648 families residing in the city. The population density was 855.7 per square mile (330.2/km²). There were 805 housing units at an average density of 311.0 per square mile (120.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 91.87% White, 3.84% African American, 0.14% Native American, 2.66% Asian, 0.09% from other races, and 1.40% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.90% of the population.
8.8% of Orchard Lake's population reported ancestries that were characterized as "Assyrian/Chaldean/Syriac" by the U.S. Census, making Orchard Lake Village the community with the highest percentage of people in that category of any place in the United States.
There were 750 households out of which 40.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 79.7% were married couples living together, 3.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 13.5% were non-families. 9.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.95 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 21.7% from 25 to 44, 34.4% from 45 to 64, and 11.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 104.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 107.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $121,126, and the median income for a family was $126,058. Males had a median income of $83,680 versus $41,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $67,881. About 0.6% of families and 0.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under the age of eighteen or sixty-five or over.
Also, there is another school called St. Mary's Preparatory, which is a Catholic Preparatory for boys.
- Bob Seger, American rock musician
- Lizabeth Ardisana, 2006 Michiganian Of The Year.
- John Flack, 2009 Michiganian Of The Year.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on January 24, 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on June 17, 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Orchard Lake Village, Michigan
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Orchard Lake Village city, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- "Welcome to City of Orchard Lake Village". Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- Andy Kiersz (9 September 2014). "Affluent Towns Map - Business Insider". Business Insider. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Assyrian Chaldean Syriac Ancestry Search - Assyrian Chaldean Syriac Genealogy by City - ePodunk.com". Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "District Overview." (Archive) West Bloomfield School District. Retrieved on September 8, 2013.
- "Map of Entire District." (Archive) Walled Lake Consolidated Schools. Retrieved on November 8, 2012. "Educational Services Center 850 Ladd Rd, Bldg D, Walled Lake 48390"
- "Rocker Bob Seger joins Tiger in pro-am." Associated Press. Wednesday July 29, 2009. Retrieved on October 28, 2009.
- "." University of Michigan-Dearborn. Retrieved on November 11, 2012.
- "." Wayne State University. April 12, 2010. Retrieved on July 7, 2012.