Orchard Lake Village, Michigan
Orchard Lake Village, Michigan
|City of Orchard Lake Village|
View of Orchard Lake
Location within Oakland County
|• Mayor||Mark Hoffman|
|• Clerk||Rhonda McClellan|
|• City||4.05 sq mi (10.50 km2)|
|• Land||2.40 sq mi (6.21 km2)|
|• Water||1.66 sq mi (4.30 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,031.71/sq mi (398.28/km2)|
|• Metro||4,296,250 (Metro Detroit)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
48323, 48324 (West Bloomfield)
|GNIS feature ID||634090|
A northern suburb of Metro Detroit, Orchard Lake Village is located about 3 miles (4.8 km) southwest of the city of Pontiac and 16 miles (25.7 km) northwest of the city of Detroit. The city is mostly surrounded by West Bloomfield Township, with a small northeast border with Keego Harbor. About 40% of the city's total area is water, with the main geographic feature being Orchard Lake, which occupies about 30% of the city's total area.
Orchard Lake Village is home to St. Mary's Preparatory and SS. Cyril and Methodius Seminary, in addition to the Orchard Lake Country Club and Pine Lake Country Club. It is also the home of Orchard Lake St. Mary's Preparatory and Orchard Lake Schools, formerly Michigan Military Academy.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.12 square miles (10.67 km2), of which 2.44 square miles (6.32 km2) is land and 1.68 square miles (4.35 km2) (40.78%) is water.
Orchard Lake, Cass Lake, and Upper Straits Lake are all within or partially within the city limits. Terrain is rolling and high. Orchard Lake Village surrounds Orchard Lake, the third-largest lake in Oakland County (after Cass Lake, which is also partially in Orchard Lake Village, and Kent Lake). The city is surrounded by West Bloomfield Township, except for the northeast boundary along Keego Harbor.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,375 people, 802 households, and 665 families living in the city. The population density was 973.4 inhabitants per square mile (375.8/km2). There were 869 housing units at an average density of 356.1 per square mile (137.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 83.9% White, 6.4% African American, 7.4% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 2.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.1% of the population.
There were 802 households, of which 33.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 75.7% were married couples living together, 4.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 17.1% were non-families. 14.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 6.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.78 and the average family size was 3.08.
The median age in the city was 46.9 years. 23.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 16.1% were from 25 to 44; 35.7% were from 45 to 64; and 17.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 53.6% male and 46.4% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,215 people, 750 households, and 648 families living in the city. The population density was 855.7 per square mile (330.2/km2). There were 805 housing units at an average density of 311.0 per square mile (120.0/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 91.87% White, 3.84% African American, 0.14% Native American, 2.66% Asian, 0.09% from other races, and 1.40% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.90% of the population.
8.8% of Orchard Lake's population reported ancestries that were characterized as "Assyrian/Chaldean/Syriac" by the U.S. Census, making Orchard Lake Village the community with the highest percentage of people in that category of any place in the United States.
There were 750 households, out of which 40.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 79.7% were married couples living together, 3.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 13.5% were non-families. 9.6% of all households were made up of individuals, and 2.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.95 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the city, the population was spread out, with 26.9% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 21.7% from 25 to 44, 34.4% from 45 to 64, and 11.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females, there were 104.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 107.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $121,126, and the median income for a family was $126,058. Males had a median income of $83,680 versus $41,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $67,881. About 0.6% of families and 0.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under the age of eighteen or sixty-five or over.
Also, there is another school called St. Mary's Preparatory, which is a Catholic Preparatory for boys.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 25, 2020.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Orchard Lake Village, Michigan
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Orchard Lake Village city, Michigan". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- "Welcome to City of Orchard Lake Village". Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on January 12, 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Assyrian Chaldean Syriac Ancestry Search - Assyrian Chaldean Syriac Genealogy by City - ePodunk.com". Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "District Overview." (Archive) West Bloomfield School District. Retrieved on September 8, 2013.
- "Map of Entire District." (Archive) Walled Lake Consolidated Schools. Retrieved on November 8, 2012. "Educational Services Center 850 Ladd Rd, Bldg D, Walled Lake 48390"
- Powell, William H. (1893). Officers of the Army and Navy (Volunteer) Who Served in the Civil War. Philadelphia, PA: L. A. Hamersly & Co. p. 112 – via HathiTrust.
- "Rocker Bob Seger joins Tiger in pro-am." Associated Press. Wednesday July 29, 2009. Retrieved on October 28, 2009.