Order of King Abdulaziz
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Order of King Abdulaziz|
|Awarded by Kingdom of Saudi Arabia|
|Type||Order of merit with 5 degrees|
|Established||20 March 1971|
|Next (higher)||Great Chain of Badr|
|Next (lower)||Order of King Faisal|
Ribbon bar of the Order of King Abdulaziz Al Saud
In 1971, the introduction of orders was announced in a decree. It was instituted by King Faisal on 20 March 1971. However, the order had been awarded before that date unsystematically. These earliest versions were produced by Bichay in Cairo, Egypt. The early version of the order was called Great Chain of Badr. The Saudi king, Fons honorum of the orders, confirmed the decree in his Royal decree.
The Collar of the Order of Abdulaziz Al Saud
The Order of Abdulaziz Al Saud
The order is awarded to citizens of Saudi Arabia and foreigners for meritorious service to the Kingdom. The Council of Ministers makes the nominations but the King confers awards to foreigners himself when he determines it to be appropriate. Awardees enter in the 4th class of the order, with the exception of ministers and appointees for bravery, who can enter the order in a higher class. Members of the order can advance to the next higher class every five years.
The number of Saudi conferments is limited annually. The statutes of the order stipulate no more than 20 grand sashes of the distinguished class. Up to 40, 60, 80 and 100 awards can be granted to members of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th classes, respectively.
The Classes include:
- Special Class (comparable with "Grand Cordon"). A sash with pendant is worn on the right shoulder, plus a star on the left chest;
- Distinguished First Class (comparable with "Grand Officer"). The insignia is worn on a necklet, plus a golden star on the left chest;
- First Class (comparable with "Commander 1st Class"). The insignia is worn on a necklet, plus a silver star on the left chest;
- Second Class (comparable with "Commander"). The insignia is worn on a necklet;
- Third Class (comparable with "Officer"). A badge is worn on a ribbon with a rosette on the left chest;
- Fourth Class (comparable with "Knight"). A badge is worn on a ribbon on the left chest.
The Saudis avoid words like "cross" (as in "Grand-Cross") and "knight".
The order is sometimes referred to as the:
- King Abdulaziz Order of Merit
- King Abdulaziz Al Saud Excellence Medal
- King Abdulaziz Medal
- Bandar bin Sultan Al Saud
- Fahd bin Abdullah bin Mohammed Al Saud
- Nayef bin Abdulaziz Al Saud – King Abdulaziz Medal (First Class)
- Sara bint Faisal bin Abdulaziz – King Abdulaziz Medal (First Class; 2013)
- Sattam bin Abdulaziz Al Saud – King Abdulaziz Medal (First Class)
- Khalid bin Bandar Al Saud (2011)
- Sultan bin Abdulaziz Al Saud – King Abdulaziz Medal (First Class; 2011)
- Turki bin Nasser Al Saud – King Abdulaziz Medal (First Class)
- Al Waleed bin Talal Al Saud – King Abdulaziz Medal (First Class; 2002)
- Talal bin Abdulaziz Al Saud – King Abdulaziz Sash (Special Class; 1976)
Politicians and officials
- Petro Poroshenko – President of Ukraine, (1 November 2017)
- Donald Trump – President of the United States of America, Collar of Abdulaziz Al Saud (20 May 2017)
- Theresa May – Former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (6 April 2017)
- Narendra Modi – Prime Minister of India, Order of Abdulaziz Al Saud (Special Class, 3 April 2016)
- Jacob Zuma – President of South Africa (28 March 2016)
- Xi Jinping – President of the People's Republic of China, Medal of King Abdulaziz (20 January 2016)
- Enrique Peña Nieto – President of Mexico, Order of Abdulaziz Al Saud (Special Class, 17 January 2016)
- Joko Widodo – President of Indonesia, Medal of King Abdulaziz (First Class, September 2015)
- Abdel Fattah el-Sisi – President of Egypt, Medal of King Abdulaziz (First Class; August 2014)
- François Hollande – Former President of France, (Special Class, 30 December 2013)
- David Cameron – Former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (November 2012)
- Najib Tun Razak – Prime Minister of Malaysia, Medal of King Abdulaziz (First Class, 19 January 2010)
- Silvio Berlusconi – Former Prime Minister of Italy, Order of Abdulaziz Al Saud (First Class; 22 November 2009)
- Bashar al-Assad – President of Syria, Medal of King Abdulaziz (8 October 2009)
- Barack Obama – Former President of the United States, King Abdul Aziz Order of Merit (June 2009)
- Mohammad Al Jasser – Saudi minister, Medal of King Abdulaziz (First Class; May 2009)
- George W. Bush – Former President of the United States, Medal of King Abdulaziz (First Class; 14 January 2008)
- Mohammed VI – King of Morocco, (18 May 2007)
- Shinzō Abe – Prime Minister of Japan, Order of Abdulaziz Al Saud (Special Class; April 2007)
- Vladimir Putin – President of Russia (2007)
- Sabah Al Khalid Al Sabah – Kuwaiti royal and politician, Medal of King Abdulaziz (First Class)
- Edmond Leburton – Former Prime Minister of Belgium
- Bill Clinton – Former President of the United States
- Gyanendra of Nepal- Former King of Nepal
- Tariq Majid – Pakistan's Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee (2009)
- Lt General James Ahmann – US Air Force Commander USMTM
- Pervez Musharraf – Pakistan's Chief of Army Staff
- Raheel Sharif – Pakistan's Chief of Army Staff
- Ali Shamkhani – Former Defence Minister of Iran
- Sir Alan William John West – Chief of British Naval Staff (2004), Medal of King Abdulaziz (First Class)
- Katsutoshi Kawano – Chief of Staff of the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (February 2014)
- Stephane Abrial – Former SACT
- Denis Mercier – Former Chief of Staff of the French Air Force
- Necdet Özel – Chief of Staff of the Turkish Armed Forces (2012)
- Zubair Mahmood Hayat – Pakistan's Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee
- Admiral Tan Sri Ahmad Kamarulzaman - Chief of Royal Malaysian Navy, (21 February 2017)
- Muhammad Zakaullah – Chief of the Naval Staff, Pakistan Navy (2 October 2017)
- Sohail Aman - Chief of Air Staff, Pakistan Air Force (10 February 2018)
- Abu Belal Muhammad Shafiul Haq - Chief of Army Staff, Bangladesh Army (8 March 2018)
- Aziz Ahmed - Chief of Army Staff, Bangladesh Army (4 February 2018)
- Krzysztof Płomiński – Polish diplomat
- Photos of the Order
- Guy Stair Sainty and Rafal Heydel-Mankoo, World Orders of Knighthood and Merit" (ISBN 0971196672), London 2006.
- "Military Medals of Saudi Arabia - Archives | King Saud". www.kingsaud.org. Retrieved 22 April 2018.
- No.122 van 24 1-1391
- No.123 of 24 1-1391
- "Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: King Abdulaziz Order of Merit". Medals. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Raw Rees, Owain (May 1999). "The Awards of King Saud". Jeddah: King Saud website. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- No.4 of 25 1-1391
- "His Royal Highness Prince Bandar bin Sultan". Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- Al Mulhim, Abdulateef (24 April 2013). "Prince Fahd bin Abdullah: An admiral and a desert lover". Arab News. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "Crown Prince Nayef bin Abdulaziz". Saudi Embassy. Archived from the original on 6 September 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- "Saudi Arabia: Princess Sara honoured Medal of First Class". Gulf States Newsletter (946). Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "His royal highness Prince Sattam bin Abdulaziz". Riyadh Government. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- جريدة الرياض (12 December 2011). "جريدة الرياض : وزير الدفاع يقلد الفريق الوقداني والفريق خالد بن بندر وسام الملك عبدالعزيز". Al Riyadh. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "Head of King Khalid Award announces names of winners". Ain Alyaqeen. 25 November 2011. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "His Royal Highness Prince Turki bin Nasser bin Abdulaziz Al Saud". Saudi Environmental Society. Archived from the original on 3 November 2013. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Medals". Al Waleed Al Saud Official website. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "AOU and KNG organize Crisis and Disaster Management in Kuwait and the role of KNG Symposium". www.arabou.edu.kw.
- Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques and President of Ukraine Attend Signing Ceremony of Draft Cooperation Program and Memoranda of Understanding between the Two Countries, Saudi Press Agency.
- Shear, Michael D.; Baker, Peter (20 May 2017). "Trump Gets a Gold Medal as Welcome From Saudi King". The New York Times. Retrieved 20 May 2017.
- "Saudi King awards Theresa May honour for "meritorious service"". 5Pillars.
- "Modi conferred highest Saudi civilian honour". Hindustan times. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- Syed, Imran (30 April 2017). "South Africa emerging as one of the most popular trade and investment destinations - Saudi Gazette".
- "Xi Jinping Holds Talks with King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia Two Heads of State Jointly Announce Establishment of China-Saudi Arabia Comprehensive Strategic Partnership". Foreign Minister of the People's Republic of China. 20 January 2016. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- "Jokowi Receives King Abdul Azis Medal". Tempo.co. 12 September 2015. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- "Saudi king decorates Egypt president with highest medal". Press TV. 11 August 2014. Archived from the original on 30 October 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Cameron, weapons dealer turns peace maker". Press TV. 8 November 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "Najib receives award". PR Newswire. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- Italia-Arabia/A Berlusconi la più alta onorificenza reale saudita Archived 15 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine Ilcittadinomb
- "القمــــــــــة الســـــــــورية الســـــــــعودية... الرئيس الأسد وخادم الحرمين الشريفين يبحثان آفاق التعاون ويتبادلان أرفع وسامين وطنيين.. تعزيز العمل العربي المشترك - رفع الحصار عن الفلسطينيين" (in Arabic). Al Thawra. 8 October 2009. Retrieved 16 September 2018.
- "الملك عبدالله والرئيس الأسد يتفقان على إزالة العوائق في العلاقات الثنائية والتنسيق على جميع المستويات" (in Arabic). Al Riyadh. 8 October 2009. Retrieved 16 September 2018.
- "Obama gets some bling... in the form of Saudi Arabia's highest honour". Daily Mail. 3 June 2009.
- "The world's 50 most influential Arabs". The Middle East. 1 May 2009. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Bush Visits Saudi Arabia for Talks With King Abdullah". AP. Retrieved 26 March 2013.
- HM King Mohammed VI. map.ma
- "石油備蓄で基地提供提案 安倍首相、サウジ国王に". 47news. 29 April 2007. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Atul Aneja Putin goes calling on the Saudis. The Hindu. 20 February 2007
- "Sabah Dynasty". Royal Ark. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Mohayya, Chief of General Staff, conferring King Abdul Aziz Al Saud Excellence Medal which is the highest military award of Saudi Armed Forces, to General Tariq Majid, CJCSC on behalf of King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud". ISPR. Retrieved 3 December 2012.
- "Gen Raheel meets with Saudi political, military leadership". Dawn. 5 February 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- علی شمخانی، دبیر شورای عالی امنیت ملی ایران شد Archived 12 September 2013 at the Wayback Machine Shafaqna
- "Today in History". SeaWaves. 20 November 2008. Archived from the original on 10 November 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2013.