Order of Cultural Merit (Korea)
|Order of Cultural Merit
|Award of Republic of Korea|
|Type||Order of merit|
|Next (higher)||Order of Saemaeul Service Merit|
|Next (lower)||Order of Sports Merit|
|Related||Civil Merit Medal|
The Order of Cultural Merit (Hanja: 文化勳章 문화훈장) is one of the Republic of Korea's (South Korea) Orders of Merit. It is awarded to those who have rendered outstanding meritorious services in the interest of improving the national welfare.
- 1 Classes of Cultural Merit
- 2 Select recipients
- 3 Notes
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Classes of Cultural Merit
The Order of Cultural Merit is conferred in five classes:
- Geumgwan (Gold Crown) 금관장
- Eungwan (Silver Crown) 은관장
- Bogwan (Precious Crown) 보관장
- Okgwan (Jeweled Crown) 옥관장
- Hwagwan (Flower Crown) 화관장
|Ribbons of the order|
Other Orders of Merit
There are three kinds of decoration awarded by the Republic of Korea. They are Orders, Medals of Merit, and Service Medals.
Geumgwan (Gold Crown), 1st Class
Eungwan (Silver Crown), 2nd Class
Bogwan (Precious Crown), 3rd Class
Okgwan (Jeweled Crown), 4th Class
- Choi Min-sik, 2004 — Choi Min-sik returned the decoration badge in 2006, protesting large cuts in support programs for the arts programs of the Korean government.
- Kim Dong-joo, 2004
- Young-Key Kim-Renaud, 2006.
- Park Jae-sang (PSY), South Korean musician, 2012
Hwagwan (Flower Crown), 5th Class
- Ji-Young Kim, 1998.
- Bae Yong-joon, 2008.
- Daisaku Ikeda, Japanese religious leader, the Honorary President of Soka Gakkai, and President of Soka Gakkai International, 2009.
- Jason Amper, 2012.
- Korea: its Land, People, and Culture of all Ages, pp. 145-146.
- Askonas Holt, Myung-Whun Chung, biography; retrieved 2011-05-10
- "Nation honors late video artist Paik Nam-june a year after death," Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism (ROK). February 1, 2007, retrieved 2011-04-22
- Lee Hyo-won. "Late Film Director Yu to Get National Order of Culture Merit," Korea Times (ROK). June 29, 2009, retrieved 2011-04-22
- Jang, Sung-eun. "Beloved Korean Novelist Dies At 80," Wall Street Journal (US). January 26, 2011.
- Association for Asian Studies (AAS), 1997 Award for Distinguished Contributions to Asian Studies; retrieved 2011-05-31
- "Kun Woo Paik is awarded Order of Merit," ICA International Classical Artists (UK). 3 December 2010, citing "Pianist Paik Kun-woo honored," Korea Herald (ROK). 2 November 2010, retrieved 2011-04-22
- "`Old Boy' to Receive Order of Cultural Merit," Han Cinema (ROK). July 25, 2004, retrieved 2011-04-22
- "Kadir Topbaş'a Kore devlet nişanı verildi" (in Turkish). Hürriyet. 2014-09-13. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "'Old Boy' Returns Medal in Screen Quota Protest," Chosun Ilbun (ROK). February 7, 2006.
- "President Rho Confers the Order of Merit on the Korean Alphabet Day," George Washington University website (US). November 11, 2006, retrieved 2011-04-22
- "Korean National Ballet, Principal Dancers" Korean National Ballet website. retrieved 2012-11-27
- Han Sang-hee. "Bae Receives National Order of Culture Merit," Korea Times (ROK). October 19, 2008, retrieved 2011-04-22
- Yrigoyen, Charles et al. (2005). Historical dictionary of Methodism, p. 176., p. 176, at Google Books
- Martin, Samuel Elmo. ( 1996). Consonant Lenition in Korean and the Macro-Altaic Question, p. 168., p. 168, at Google Books
- Korean Overseas Information Service. (1997) A Handbook of Korea, 6th edition. Seoul, Korea: Seoul International Publishing House. OCLC 16013390