Order of Friendship
|Order of Friendship|
Order of Friendship (obverse)
|Awarded by Russian Federation|
|Type||Single grade order|
|Eligibility||Russian nationals and Foreign nationals|
|Awarded for||Strengthening friendship and cooperation between peoples|
|Established||March 2, 1994|
|Next (higher)||Order of Honour|
|Next (lower)||Order of Parental Glory|
Ribbon of the Order of Friendship
The Order of Friendship (Russian: Орден Дружбы) is a state decoration of the Russian Federation established by presidential decree 442 of March 2, 1994 to reward foreign nationals whose work, deeds and efforts were aimed at the betterment of relations with the Russian Federation and its people. Its statute was later amended by presidential decree 19 of January 6, 1999, presidential decree 1099 of September 7, 2010, presidential decree 1631 of December 16, 2011, and presidential decree 308 of March 16, 2012. It can trace its lineage to the Soviet Order of Friendship of Peoples.
The Order of Friendship is awarded to Russian and foreign nationals for special merit in strengthening peace, friendship, cooperation and understanding between nations, for fruitful work on the convergence and mutual enrichment of cultures of nations and peoples; for the active conservation, development and promotion of the cultural and historical heritage of Russia; for great contribution to the implementation of joint ventures with the Russian Federation, major economic projects and attracting investments into the economy of the Russian Federation; for broad charitable activities.
The badge of the Order of Friendship is made of gilded silver and enamels. It is a pentagonal star created from diverging golden rays. On the obverse at the center of the star is a terrestrial globe, with the oceans covered in blue enamel. The globe is surrounded by a green enamelled wreath of olive branches. On the reverse is the inscription "Peace and Friendship" (Russian: "Мир и дружба") and the etched serial number of the individual award. The distance between opposite tips of the star is 44 mm.
The badge of the order is connected by a ring through the suspension loop to a standard Russian pentagonal mount covered with an overlapping 24 mm wide green silk moiré ribbon with 6 mm wide light blue stripes along its edges. When worn in the presence of other Orders and medals of the Russian Federation, the Order of Friendship is located immediately after the Order of Honour.
Notable recipients (partial list)
The following individuals were awarded the Order of Friendship:
- Frank De Winne, ESA Astronaut and Head of the European Astronaut Centre (Belgium)
- André Kuipers, ESA Astronaut (Netherlands)
- Jacques Rogge, 8th President of the International Olympic Committee (Belgium)
- Valery Leontiev, Pop singer
- David Blatt, basketball coach (Israel/USA)
- Sopubek Begaliev, Kyrgyz politician (Kyrgyzstan)
- Lydia T. Black, a historian and anthropologist in the field of Russian America (USA)
- George Blake, double agent (UK)
- Adrienne Clarkson, Governor General of Canada
- Van Cliburn, renowned pianist (USA)
- Patricia Cloherty, entrepreneur and businesswoman (USA)
- Dimitris Christofias, President of Cyprus
- Milorad Dodik, President of the Republika Srpska
- Maurice Druon, writer (France)
- Yuli Gusman, film director (Azerbaijan)
- Daisaku Ikeda, president of Soka Gakkai International (Japan)
- Raymond E. Johnson, founder of the Museum of Russian Art in Minneapolis (USA)
- Akhmad Kadyrov, President of Chechnya
- Prince Michael of Kent, cousin of Queen Elizabeth II and descendant of Tsar Nicholas I of Russia; a qualified interpreter of Russian (UK)
- Vakhtang Kikabidze, singer and actor (the award was rejected by Kikabidze in August 2008) (Georgia)
- Lee Kuan Yew, Minister Mentor of Singapore
- Antonio Mennini, Apostolic Nuncio to Russia (2002–2010) for his contribution to the development of Russian-Vatican relations (Vatican)
- John Middleton-Tidwell, a historian of Russian-American studies (USA)
- Riccardo Muti, conductor (Italy)
- Oscar Niemeyer, renowned architect (Brazil)
- God Nisanov, billionaire property developer
- Sagadat Nurmagambetov, Defense Minister of Kazakhstan
- Victor Petrov, a historian of Russian-American studies
- Richard Pierce, a historian of Russian-American studies (USA)
- Marcel Prud'homme, senator (Canada)
- Buvaisar Saitiev, 3x olympic gold medal wrestler
- Mrinal Sen, film director (India)
- Dimitris Sioufas, legislator (Greece)
- Barbara Sweetland Smith, a historian of Russian-American studies (USA)
- James W. Symington, a former member of the U.S. House of Representatives and current attorney at Nossaman LLP/O'Connor & Hannan (USA)
- Andrzej Wajda, film director (Poland)
- Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury, recognised for contributions to friendly relations between Russia and the UK, and his love of Russian literature. (UK)
- Tatjana Ždanoka, politician (Latvia)
- Ignatius IV of Antioch (Hazim), Patriarch Ignatius IV, Greek Orthodox Christian Church
- Prince Dimitri Romanov, claimant to headship of the Imperial House of Russia
- Constantine Orbelian, conductor and pianist, 2012 Medal Recipient
- Aliya Mustafina, Olympic gold medalist in gymnastics
- Anatoly Karpov, for his great contribution to strengthening peace and friendship between peoples and productive social activities
- A. Sivathanu Pillai, BrahMos chief (India)
- Dario Salas Sommer, Chilean philosopher 
- Ramayahi Shanmugam Sundar, director of the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant
- "Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of March 2, 1994 No. 442" (in Russian). Commission under the President of the Russian Federation on state awards. 1999-12-15. Archived from the original on 2001-02-18. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- "Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of January 6, 1991 No. 19" (in Russian). Commission under the President of the Russian Federation on state awards. 15 December 1999. Archived from the original on 2001-02-18. Retrieved 11 February 2012.
- "Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of September 7, 2010 No. 1099" (in Russian). Russian Gazette. 7 September 2010. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- "Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of December 16, 2011 No 1631" (in Russian). Russian Gazette. 16 December 2011. Archived from the original on 2013-03-31. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- "Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of March 16, 2012 No. 308" (in Russian). Consultants, legal library of Russia. 16 March 2012. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of April 12, 2012 No. 433" (in Russian). Russian Presidential Executive Office. 12 April 2012. Archived from the original on 2013-08-05. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Compiled from the site of the President of the Russian Federation" (in Russian). Kremlin News. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- Vladislav Dunaev (19 April 2001). Консульство в Сан-Франциско чествует исследователей - Энтузиасты Русской Америки получают ордена Дружбы [Consulate in San Francisco celebrates researchers - Enthusiasts of Russian America to receive the Order of Friendship] (in Russian). Nezavisimaya Gazeta. Archived from the original on January 14, 2005. Retrieved 12 March 2010.
- Hoe, Yeen Nie (16 November 2009). "Russia, S'pore move towards closer ties with new governmental body". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 12 March 2010.[dead link]
- "Former Vatican Ambassador to Russia is decorated with Order of Friendship". interfax-religion.com. 2010-02-18.
- Adam Sweeting (16 March 2011). "Riccardo Muti: a profile". The Telegraph. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- "God Nisanov WJC Vice-President". World Jewish Congress. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Dr Rowan Williams is honoured for work on Russia". BBC. 12 March 2010. Retrieved 12 March 2010.
- "Meeting with Patriarch Ignatius IV of Antioch and All The East". Eng.news.kremlin.ru. 11 May 2010. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- ru:Орбелян, Константин Гарриевич
- "Russia honours BrahMos chief with 'Order of Friendship' award". Business-standard.com. Press Trust of India. 26 February 2014. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 22.09.2015 г. № 469 - О награждении государственными наградами Российской Федерации иностранных граждан [Presidential Decree of 22.09.2015, the № 469 - On conferring state awards of the Russian Federation on foreign citizens] (in Russian). Kremlin.ru. 22 September 2015. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "Putin awards Indian director NPP "Kudankulam" Order of Friendship". Russia Beyond The Headlines. 29 January 2016. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- The Commission on State Awards to the President of the Russian Federation (In Russian)
- The Russian Gazette (In Russian)