Order of Independence (Jordan)
|Order of Independence
|Awarded by Jordan
|Sovereign||Abdullah II of Jordan|
|Next (higher)||Order of the Star of Jordan|
Ribbon bar of the order
The Order of Independence (Wisam al-Istiqial) is the fourth knighthood order of the Kingdom of Jordan.
It was instituted in 1921 by Emir Hussein bin Ali, Sharif of Mecca.
The Order of Independence is divided in five classes :
- Grand Cordon
- Grand Officer
and a medal
The ribbon is purple with white and black stripes on its borders.
Senior members of the Jordanian Royal Family as well as Prime Ministers of Jordan are among the current recipients of the Order's highest rank of Grand Cordon. Others include foreign royalty, prominent businessmen and cultural figures.
- Jaime de Marichalar, Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo's former husband.
- Simeon II, King of the Bulgarians and Prime Minister.
- Anthony Bailey, interfaith campaigner.
- Waleed bin Ibrahim Al Ibrahim, Saudi businessman and media figure.
- Hashemite University, received the order of Independence of first class.
Medals World Index, Jordan: Order of Independence (Wisam al-Istiqial)
- Forum Principes de Asturias, State visit in Spain, 1999, Group photo
- Jordantimes, King honours pioneers on 70th Independence Day.