Order of Liberty
|Order of Liberty
Ordem da Liberdade
Star of The Order of Liberty
|Awarded by Portuguese Republic|
|Eligibility||Portuguese and foreign citizens; military or civilian|
|Awarded for||Distinguished and important services rendered to the cause of democracy and freedom.|
|Grand Master||President of the Portuguese Republic|
|Chancellor||Manuela Ferreira Leite|
|Grades||Grand Cross with Collar
|Next (higher)||Order of Prince Henry|
|Next (lower)||Order of Merit|
Ribbon bar of the Order of Liberty
The Order of Liberty, or Freedom, (Portuguese: Ordem da Liberdade) is a Portuguese honorific civil order that distinguishes relevant services to the cause of democracy and freedom, in the defense of the values of civilization and human dignity. The order was created in 1976, after the Carnation Revolution of 1974 in which the fascist authoritarian Estado Novo regime of António de Oliveira Salazar and Marcello Caetano was deposed. The Grand Collar can also be given by the President of Portugal to former Heads of State and others whose deeds are of an extraordinary nature and particular relevance to Portugal, making them worthy of such a distinction.
The order includes five classes; in decreasing order of seniority, these are:
- Grand Cross with Collar (Grande-Cruz-Colar - GColL)
- Grand Cross (Grã-Cruz - GCL)
- Grand Officer (Grande-Oficial - GOL)
- Commander (Comendador - ComL)
- Officer (Oficial - OL)
- Knight/Dame (Cavaleiro - CvL / Dama - DmL)
Like the other Portuguese orders, the title of Honorary Member (Membro Honorário—MHL) can be awarded to institutions and locals.
List of the Grand Cross with Collar of Liberty
- Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg (2017-05-23).
- François Mitterrand, former president of the French Republic (1987-10-28).
- Juan Carlos I, king of Spain (1988-10-13).
- Václav Havel, former president of the Czech Republic (1991-02-20).
- António Mascarenhas Monteiro, former president of the Republic of Cape Verde (1992-04-15).
- Miguel Trovoada, former president of the Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe (1992-12-23).
- Patricio Aylwin, former president of the Republic of Chile (1993-04-27).
- Lech Wałęsa, former president of the Republic of Poland (1993-08-18).
- Fernando Henrique Cardoso, former president of the Republic of Brazil (1996-03-08).
- Mário Soares, former prime minister and president of the Portuguese Republic (1996-08-29).
- Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, former president of the Republic of Brazil (2003-10-17).
- Kofi Annan, former secretary-general of the United Nations (2005-10-11).
- António Guterres, current secretary-general of the United Nations (2016-02-02).
Knight of the Order of Liberty
- "HISTÓRIA DA ORDEM DA LIBERDADE - Página Oficial das Ordens Honoríficas Portuguesas" (in Portuguese). Ordens.presidencia.pt. Retrieved 2012-05-28.
- "ORDEM DA LIBERDADE - Página Oficial das Ordens Honoríficas Portuguesas" (in Portuguese). Ordens.presidencia.pt. Retrieved 2012-05-28.
- State visit in Luxembourg
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Order of Liberty.|