Order of Logohu
|Order of Logohu|
Grand Companion insignia
|Awarded by the|
Monarch of Papua New Guinea
|Type||Order of merit|
|Eligibility||Citizens of Papua New Guinea as well as foreigners as honorary recipients|
|Awarded for||Service to Papua New Guinea|
|Sovereign||Queen Elizabeth II|
|Chancellor||Governor-General of Papua New Guinea|
|Grades||Grand Companion of Logohu (GCL)|
Officer of Logohu (OL)
Member of Logohu (ML)
National Logohu Medal (LM)
|Next (higher)||Dependent on grade|
|Next (lower)||Dependent on grade|
Grand Companion ribbon
Ribbon of all other classes and medal
The Order of Logohu is the principal order of the Order of Papua New Guinea. Logohu is a Motuan word for the bird-of-paradise, the official national symbol of Papua New Guinea since its independence. The Order consists of four ranks.
Classes of the Order
Grand Companion of the Order of Logohu
The Grand Companion of the Order of Logohu (GCL) is awarded to those citizens of Papua New Guinea and others for service, achievement, and merit in the highest degree, sustained over a period of twenty years. The award may be given to no more than fifty living persons. Recipients of the Grand Companion class are titled "Chief". The Chancellor of the Order of Logohu is titled as "Grand Chief" as well as one other living recipient of the class. The title of Grand Chief is currently held by the first Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea Grand Chief Michael Somare GCL GCMG CH CF SSI KSG PC MP.
Officer of Logohu
The Officer of Logohu (OL) is awarded for distinguished service to Papua New Guinea, or to a local community, sustained over a period of at least ten years.
Member of Logohu
The Member of Logohu (ML) is awarded for commendable service to a particular area of endeavour, to Papua New Guinea, or to a local community, sustained over a period of at least seven years.
National Logohu Medal
The National Logohu Medal (LM) is awarded for exemplary service in a profession, career, or industry group, or to the general community, over a period of at least five years.
- Grand Chief Sir Michael Somare GCL GCMG CH CF SSI KSG PC MP (2005) – First Prime Minister of PNG
- Dame Josephine Abaijah GCL DBE – First Woman elected to the PNG Parliament
- Sir Julius Chan GCL GCMG KBE MP (2005) – Former Prime Minister of PNG
- John Momis GCL (2005) – Long Serving Parliamentarian and Framer of the PNG constitution
- Sir Silas Atopare GCL GCMG (2008) – Former Governor General of PNG
- Sir Donatus Mola GCL (2005) – Former Bougainville Chief
- Sir Rabbie Namaliu GCL CSM KCMG (2009) – Former Prime Minister of PNG
- Archbishop Karl Hesse, GCL – Catholic Archbishop Emeritus of Rabaul
- Boyamo Sali GCL (2009) – Former Cabinet Minister of PNG
- Mathew Siune GCL (2009) – Former Cabinet Minister of PNG
- Sir Akepa Miakwe GCL(2011) – Former politician of Unggai-Bena in Eastern Highlands
- Sir Brian Barnes GCL (2011) – Former Archbishop of Port Moresby Catholic Archdiocese
- Sir Peter Barter GCL OBE (2011) – Former Cabinet Minister of PNG and Governor of Madang province
Honorary Grand Companions
- Major-General Michael Jeffery AC CVO MC GCL (2005) - Former Governor General of Australia
- Andrew Peacock AC GCL (2006) - Former Foreign Minister of Australia
- Bill Clinton (2006) - Former President of the USA
The precedence of the classes of the Order of Logohu vary, they are as follows:
|Higher||Order of Logohu Class||Lower|
|Cross of Valour||Grand Companion of Logohu||Companion of the Star of Melanesia|
|Companion of the Star of Melanesia||Officer of Logohu||Member of Logohu|
|Officer of Logohu||Member of Logohu||National Logohu Medal|
|Member of Logohu||National Logohu Medal||Cross of Medical Service Medal|
- "The Order of PNG". Governor General of Papua New Guinea. Archived from the original on 29 December 2015. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "PM PRESENTS SOVEREIGN'S BADGE TO THE QUEEN". Official Website of the Prime Minister of Papue New Guinea. Archived from the original on 18 March 2008. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Former PNG Parliamentarian Chief John Momis joins USP as Visiting Fellow". The University of the South Pacific News. 2006-02-07. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "At Admiralty House, Sydney, Their Excellencies, the Governor-General and Mrs Jeffery attended a ceremony at which the Governor-General was invested with an Honorary Grand Companion of the Order of the Logohu by the Right Honourable Grand Chief Sir Mich..." Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia. 7 September 2007. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "SIR MICHAEL'S STATEMENT WHEN AWARDING FORMER UNITED STATES PRESIDENT, BILL CLINTON WITH A 'LOGOHU MEDAL' UNDER THE PAPUA NEW GUINEA ORDERS OF LOGOHU DURING HIS RECENT VISIT TO PNG". Official Website of the Prime Minister of Papue New Guinea. Archived from the original on 18 March 2008. Retrieved 3 May 2013.